May 03, 2024, 08:45:36 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Labor cost for 4 speed trans rebuild

Started by silvercab996, February 27, 2009, 08:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvercab996

How much do shops in your area charge to rebuild a 4 speed trans with it already removed from the bike?
This would include R&R main drive gear bush and sizing it, R&R all bearings, shimming forks, cleaning and glass beading cases, top etc.
There seems to be quite a wide spread on this from what I've seen, depends upon experience and expertese maybe?

springer-

It's been a while since I have rebuilt one completely as you describe but it is a time consuming project to do it right.  Replacing the 4th gear bushing and honing, replacing all the bearings, checking and adjusting the shift forks and everything else involved can be an 8 hour job.  More if you are not setup with all the right equipment.  Also figure in the cost of the part and depending on what is worn out that cost can be significant.  Shift shafts, hats, pawls, forks, shift drum, bearings, bushings, spacers, shims, gears etc.  Hard to guess a total cost without first disassembling and inspecting everything.  A range of $400 to $1000 might not be unreasonable depending on the condition of the transmission and parts required.  If someone quotes you a flat rate prior to inspection they might not be doing the complete job or is assuming the worst or is in over their head. JMO

stroker800

The guy I use is in IL and is a friend and does all my motors and trannys,,,I had my 4 speed done by him, I supplied all parts (new Andrews gears,shafts,bearings). It was not glass beaded,just steam cleaned..He will fit and assemble for a COOL $100.00 cash,,,for this kinda money it doesn't pay to even try to do myself. With the shop discount on partsI still had $600.00 plue assembly.
Dave

easyricer

The last one I rebuilt, I think ran $800 for the total job. New mainshaft, Jims rebuild kit, sizing new bushings, new bearings, new shift clutches, new shift pawls. I'm pretty sure I charged a flat rate of 10 hours. I don't know how much I actually had in it. but it took a while.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

blackbeard 60

i had mine done last winter .new mainshaft new barrens forks the whole dam thing for 600 bucks which i thought was real good . and it shifts nice and smooth and does't leak a drop : :smile: