May 09, 2024, 03:33:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Heat Clothing Cheaper than Gerbing?

Started by Eccool, November 17, 2013, 08:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eccool

I'm looking to get the full outfit, jacket, pants, gloves and socks.  Anything cheaper than Gerbing?  I know they are pretty much the Gold Standard, I'm just looking for alternatives.  Thanks!

NETacomaFatboy

Nah..  they are all about the same price I would think.  Get the Gerbing.  Keep an eye out for their clearance stuff.

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

hbkeith

Alien

Have a Gerbing jacket liner and gloves for 10+ years. Should have done it 10 years earlier. Nothing like riding in 20-50 degree weather warm and comfortable without being so bundled up you can't move.

I would consider anything by Aerostich also but they are not cheaper. Personally I don't feel the need for the pants and gloves. I have a pair of Aerostich Darien pants that are also waterproof and between my lowers and those I have never felt a need for the heated pants or socks. Also have a pair of Redwing 1000gm thinsulate boots. Too warm to wear indoors.

HarleyHiwayMan

Gerbing gloves here, I tried a couple others and nothing is as good as Gerbing.
I have a Milwaukee Electric Tool battery power heated jacket I wear under a Harley leather jacket. It keeps my arms and core body very warm. The small 12 volt battery runs about 2 hours. Hell I ride at 28* last week, will this week. Good socks and boots, leather pants and gooooo.
Flatland Charley, Lazy Photographer
Ride with an attitude!!

tomcat64

Quote from: HarleyHiwayMan on November 18, 2013, 06:22:43 AM
I have a Milwaukee Electric Tool battery power heated jacket I wear under a Harley leather jacket. It keeps my arms and core body very warm. The small 12 volt battery runs about 2 hours. Hell I ride at 28* last week, will this week. Good socks and boots, leather pants and gooooo.

that Milwaukee tool heated jacket is the freeking ticket!!!

Paniolo

Also check out Powerlet, and WarmNSafe. All good products that I have purchased and can vouch for.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Nebraskarider1

If you have tried the Gerbing stuff on and know exact sizes and what you want call these guys and see what specials they are gonna run on Black Friday, they usually do 20- 30% off on that day only on Gerbings stuff. They aren't a mail order place but I bet you could get them to ship a couple hundred bucks worth of stuff. Or get a price quote from them and maybe someone local will match it. Craig is the clothing guy there.  http://www.kearneypowersports.com/

TRUBlue

Gerbings are great, I have 2 pair of gloves, picked one pair up for half price at their recent open house.  Sometimes you can buy the heated Harley gear (also made by Gerbing) from places like Kutters and others who discount making the HD gear sometimes lower than Gerbings themselves. 

Eccool

bigfoot5x

My wife and I use the Tourmaster Synergy heated items. We both have gloves and jacket liners. She added the heated chaps last year. To me that is over kill as I have found if my body core and hands are warm the legs stay fine with longjohns, Jeans and chaps. This is cheaper than gerbing when bought at Motorcycle Superstore. We had the heated vests first. We liked them but decided to try the heated jacket liners and love them.

Garry in AZ

I've only ever had Gerbing heated gear, so I can't speak to the rest, but my Gerbing vest is 8 years old, and has been worn for probably 50,000 miles.... still works like new. Coldest ride I've used it on was 15 degrees F, for about 200 miles. I stayed warm, my buddy froze his ass off. It wasn't cheap gear, but it sure is lasting a long time. Worth every penny. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Garry
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

Durwood

Stroker made his own heated pants and socks, some wiring sewn in pajama pants, talk about being cheap :hyst: 

Coyote

Quote from: Durwood on November 18, 2013, 03:53:29 PM
Stroker made his own heated pants and socks, some wiring sewn in pajama pants, talk about being cheap :hyst:

Probably used an eddy current brake and only heats when stopping.  :teeth:

Durwood

Quote from: Coyote on November 18, 2013, 05:45:14 PM
Quote from: Durwood on November 18, 2013, 03:53:29 PM

Probably used an eddy current brake and only heats when stopping.  :teeth:
:hyst:

gonenorth

Have the Gerbing Heated jacket and gloves, since 2007.  I wear the jacket a lot riding in the frozen north in the spring and fall.  I really don't use the gloves much, but like them when I want them (generally riding in 20s F).  I like the Gerbing lifetime warranty on wiring.  I've already had some repairs with no charge.

BB Stacker

FirstGear/Warm and Safe make some pretty good stuff. I have two pair of their gloves, carbon fiber knuckles on one and plain leather on the other. I think they make a much better heat controller than Gerbings, especially if you are going to hard mound the controller. I do have the gerbings heated jacket liner. It is compatible with the warm and safe stuff (same connectors).

PoorUB

But what do you wear the rest of the ride?
A battery operated jacket would not do me much good as I rarely ride a couple hours at a time. Middle of October Gonenorth and I put on 1900 miles in 3 1/2 days and most of the time the temps were under 50F, and we rode in temps under 40F and rain one day. We rode from sun up to sun down with a few shot stops. Our jackets were running ~10 hours a day.

HarleyHiwayMan

Quote from: PoorUB on November 18, 2013, 07:13:22 PM

But what do you wear the rest of the ride?
A battery operated jacket would not do me much good as I rarely ride a couple hours at a time. Middle of October Gonenorth and I put on 1900 miles in 3 1/2 days and most of the time the temps were under 50F, and we rode in temps under 40F and rain one day. We rode from sun up to sun down with a few shot stops. Our jackets were running ~10 hours a day.

I have 2 batteries. The jacket came with one and a 30 minute charger. I got a 2nd battery, I think they are about $30 each on the extra batteries.
I was a sales manager for Milwaukee, for 28 years (now retired). I got my gear free.  :up:
Flatland Charley, Lazy Photographer
Ride with an attitude!!

PoorUB

Hiway, I know a few guys with the Milwaukee jacket. It is a good deal for a few hours, but all day on a bike? I don't see it working out unless you pack 4-5 batteries.

coastie56

Before you decide, go to Gerbings' web site and read the tech info about the microwire they use. It was designed for military applications and it gets warm very fast. Its is also extremely strong and durable. Make sure you get the jacket liner and not just the vest. The warm sleeves help keep your hands warm. :smile:

bigfoot5x

Being able to plug into the bike is really the best idea, especially if travelling. We will sometimes be riding 8 hours or more on a trip each day. It is nice to be warm when cold outside but absolutely awesome to be warm when it is raining!