May 07, 2024, 04:17:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Quiet slip ons that flow better than stock

Started by Kansas, February 27, 2009, 12:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

I am supossed to pick up my new for me 2007 Street Bob next week.  Does anybody know of slip ons that will boost performance with a remap and an air cleaner that are as quiet or nearly as quiet as the stock pipes?  Getting rid of the racket was a main motivator for getting rid of my Low Rider that was on it's 4th exhaust in three years.  I want to go fast quietly.

JimB

Supertrapp SEs are rated at 96db, 3 db louder than stock for an 07, a good torque muffler, I like mine
HD SE Touring muffler is rather quiet but I understand that the performance gains are small
Some say the V&H Monster Ovals are decent in sound & not too loud, no personal experience

PaJoe

February 27, 2009, 03:49:24 PM #2 Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 03:52:06 PM by PaJoe
I don't know the actual db numbers but the cvo mufflers with fullsac baffles give you pretty good performance and they are not as loud as most after market pipes. They do still make pretty much noise when the throttle is opened.
With our 113", they are about as loud as using the Harley 3 1/2 inch touring mufflers without the fiberglass packing - but the 4" cvo & fullsacs with extra packing  sound much deeper. Many times you can find used cvo mufflers at a good price because the guys take them off for something loud.  However, the downside is you can buy different style end caps for cvo mufflers.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28920.0

on edit, you may find the stock baffles OK with the 4 " cvo mufflers and they are designed for 110" motors so they are a bit more free flowing than the other mufflers.

ON EDIT: I meant to say you CAN NOT buy alternative end caps for Harley CVO mufflers, also, the newer ones have cats in them, until '09 then they put the cats in the headers.

pappashelby

I'm in the same boat. Have the Supertrapp SE, they are pretty nice but as i get older i find i like it a little quieter. I hear the newer touring mufflers are on the quiet side but i have no experience with them. Quess the only help is a bump !!

Kansas

Thanks for the Supertrapp SE recomendation, Fastaire.  3 db louder than stock I can live with.  I sure wish all the manufacturers of exhausts could all get together and decide on a common standard for measuring db.  Like maybe 10 feet away from a stock H-D V-Twin at x y and z rpm.  That way if sound was a factor for a buyer he could compare products and not spend a bunch of money buying an exhaust they would hate from day one.   

cactuscruiser

Geezzz, what ever happened to S&S SPOs?????? Does anyone other than me still run any??? :cry:

flht99b

I run S&S SPO's and wouldn't run anything else. If your goal is quiet but a deep pleasing tone AND performance, the SPO's are the way to fly.  Ed M.

Princess Butt

I have a set of SPO's, they're really nice. Highly recommend them, they've got a nice tone. Probably slightly louder than the Supertrapp SE's. Definitely quieter than the Kerkers.

I swapped to stockers for the trip to Milwaukee for the 105th to avoid any hassles with small town LEO's with a bone to pick. I'll swap them back in the next couple of weeks.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Dennis The Menace

Kansas, what the problem?  Planning on passing through Denver?  lol  kiddin

So, where did you wind up finding a bike?  I must have missed the post.  Cool you are getting a new scoot.  Hope our 70 degree weather floats your way out there, so you can get some miles on her soon.

Dennis

texcruiser

I can speak from personal experience about the Vance & Hines Monster Ovals, as I have them on my 09 Ultra Classic. IMHO they look great on this model, and I've had nothing but compliments about how they look. Fit and quality appears to be top notch. The sound is a rich, deep rumble, not a bark, and you can still hear the radio. They are truly "monster" in size (wide), so they are not for every bike, but I really like them on mine.

ViennaHog

The initial poster asked for recommendations for hsi StreetBob which features a shorty dual configuration. Only direct experience I have is a 2009 StreetBob with the SE street legal mufflers. Neighborhood friendly with a litte bit of gain.

Kansas

March 02, 2009, 07:34:20 AM #11 Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:00:34 AM by Kansas
Dennis, I ended up going to Central So. H-D in Olathe so I could throw a leg over a Softy Deluxe and a Street Glide.  My local dealer didn't have either on the floor.  The Street Glide was too wide and hurt my hips, and the thought of buying a reach seat and starting all that on top of the big bucks cooled my enthusiasm for that model.  The softail Deluxe seemed doable but the teeny tiny bags were a put off, even if they did throw them in for free.  Then I threw a leg over an unmolested 2007 Street Bob with 6000 miles and a year factory warranty thrown in that they had.  Savings were in the $7000 range.  The Bob fit me like a glove.  I wrestled with it for a a while and bought the Bob.  I'm turning it into a Tour Bob with the addition of bags and a windscreen and pick it up Wednesday.  I'll use a bit of that savings to give the scoot more scoot. Quietly. My old ears are exhausted.  :wink:

~JC~

Don't forget, 3db means TWICE as loud.  :smile:~JC~
If I had to understand, You wouldn't explain.

rideharder

Texcrusier
When you had your monster ovals installed did you have to do any changes to your fuel enjection due to the change in back pressure etc.
I have a 09 ultra and getting a set of ovals shortly. I am thinking of getting my dealer to install them so it does not effect the warranty.

cpiccarr

Quote from: Kansas on February 27, 2009, 12:58:23 PM
I am supossed to pick up my new for me 2007 Street Bob next week.  Does anybody know of slip ons that will boost performance with a remap and an air cleaner that are as quiet or nearly as quiet as the stock pipes?  Getting rid of the racket was a main motivator for getting rid of my Low Rider that was on it's 4th exhaust in three years.  I want to go fast quietly.
You will get the best bang for your bike with a 2-1 and the Supertrapp is a excellent choice for adjustable exhaust and quality is good. Also Kerkers are excellent made by Supertrapp.

bake321

"Don't forget, 3db means TWICE as loud.  ~JC~"

3db is considered the minimum amount a change in sound level that a human ear can detect. That is why stepped volume controls are set up for 3db attenuation per step.

Bake

redrokit8

I also have the V & H Monster Ovals on a 2009 FLTR.
I chose the black end caps to complement the black color of the bike.
They sound great and will not wear you down on a long ride.
From what the dyno told me they flow very well and with the SE intake and tuner I've never had a better running bike.
They sure are great conversation starters.
Vietnam Vet 66-67, 4th & 25th Inf Divisions CIB
LZ Hope
'09 FLTR  Roseland NJ

JimB

After I re-read the OP, I saw the Street BOB....sorry, I own a StreetGlide & I guess my mind read StreetGlide.... not StreetBob

76shuvlinoff

Got Rush slip-ons on my 09 Fatbob, can't speak to performance gains but coming from the Thunderheadered Shovel they seem plenty quiet to me, not stock quiet but not obnoxious in any way at all.  They were on the bike when I picked it up so I never heard it "stock".

Should fit a Streetbob?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Topend

Does anyone know if the Supertrapp SE's have the adjustable plates to tune with like the 2 in 1 pipe does?
Topend95
95 cu in, Andrews 37,  Supertrapp mufflers, 42mm Mikuni, SE/Heads, Crane 4HTC

Ghost Rider

Supertrapp SE's have fixed baffles - not a disc system.

Topend

95 cu in, Andrews 37,  Supertrapp mufflers, 42mm Mikuni, SE/Heads, Crane 4HTC

05FLHTC

April 07, 2009, 06:40:27 PM #23 Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:43:29 PM by 05FLHTC
Rush slip ons for the street bob come with a baffle that can be changed. 1.75, 2.0, 2.25 & 2.5. The bigger the louder, at least you would have some options & you could also wrap em to change the exhaust note, the wrap normally will help reduce the noise & make em a little deeper with less of a tiny metallic sound.
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA