April 27, 2024, 02:19:55 PM

News:

CV Carb using Stock Throttle Grip & Wire

Started by Snuff™, November 19, 2013, 04:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snuff™

Anyone using or have used a CV carb with a stock ('60 pan) throttle grip & wire?
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Hillside Motorcycle

Can't see where you couldn't get it to work, and work well with some fabrication.
We've hooked up piano wire push/pull throttles to S&S E's and B's.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

CraigArizona85248

+1 ^^^ that was my thought too.  I haven't done it, but seems like it wouldn't be too difficult.  You'd need to relocate the cable housing mount point so that it is in a position to "push" on the throttle bellcrank rather than it's current position for "pulling" to open the throttle.  You'll also want to remove the throttle return spring.

Sounds like a cool project.

-Craig

Hillside Motorcycle

And dollars to donuts, I'd bet it would run well once you get it set up. :up:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

stroker800

I have removed a factory internal throttle and fabbed into a set of custom bars,,used a standard style cable going to a SU carb..Good thing bout SU carbs don't need a ferrel/ball on carb,,old style screw tie down,,SU springs have plenty of strength for return...The ol internal throttle was cleaned up,,polished,,roller bushing replaced,,well lubed...Only thing left to do is install new grips....
Dave

Snuff™

Thanks Scott, Craig and Stroker.  Looks like a little winter project, along with a few other things.
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

easyricer

I'm using the same as Dave on my 76. Aftermarket (well serviced) internal throttle with a bicycle cable from Walmart. It's hooked to my Harley CV carb using a cable barrel from Autozone. (they have them in the help section, Cable repair kit) Running custom 1 1/4 bars, split in the middle with all internal controls, wires and brake line. I have nothing on the outside of my bars but two grips and two switch housings with a master cylinder. The right side controls take up so much room inside the bars that you have to split the bars to get it all through and use the cast iron 1 pc clamp.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

4DWUDS

Yeah I know I'm resurrecting the dead but I missed this one way back and thought you might want to know this for future reference . You can take the Left spiral out of the bars ( or buy new ) and put it in the right side and convert a wire push carb ( likkert ) to a wire pull carb .
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

nmainehunter

I've got mine set up with a CV and internal throttle. I had to play with the barrel and relocate the dowel so that I could get more travel. With the stock setup all I could get was maybe half throttle. I still don't have WOT but I'm close enough.

FSG

Quote from: nmainehunter on August 01, 2023, 08:08:19 AMI still don't have WOT but I'm close enough.

Done is better than perfect.   :SM: