Aargh!! PCIII USB Support & Maps

Started by roussfam, February 27, 2009, 02:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roussfam

Purchased a new PCIII USB for my 03 FLHTCI. Could not find a map for my set up. Sent two E-Mails, never answered, phoned and waited for 25 minutes, finally reached someone who gave me a map #807-119 after a nanosecond, along with the comment it doesn't really matter which slip ons you are using.
My set up...1550, SE Breather, 128-65115 Supertrapp SE's (HD 65115-98B same thing), True dual head pipes, and a HD SERT Stage 1 download. I am in the process of installing SE 203 cams, and purchased the PC III instead of another SERT Stage II download.
The 807-119 is for my set up with V&H Oval Slip Ons. If the slip ons really don't make a difference why are there so many maps where the only difference IS the slip ons. ie: 807-117/115/113/121/109/107/105 etc. etc. etc.
                                                                Jim

crazycalvin

If you already have a SERT, why not just use it?

apendejo

Yep, there are a whole bunch of canned maps for your setup or similar. Most will be dialed rather rich.
Install one, if you dont like the way the bike performs load another. On your computer, You can also do a map compare. It will overlay 2 chosen maps and you can tell by the graph which may be better for your riding style.
Also look at the timing tables. Two maps may appear similar fuel wise but the timing tables may be different.
You do know that those canned maps are easy to play with and manipulate. Always view the maps at maximum resolution. There are very good tutorials on Dynojet's website.
For optimal performance and driveability go see a reputable dyno tuner. He will fix that PC111 right up.
AP

FLTRI

Why canned maps don't work very well:
1) No 2 injector fuel injector outputs are the same (+/- 10%)
2) No 2 engines breathe exactly the same due to variances in intakes, porting, cam timing, exhaust systems.
Because of the above variables, canned maps are just OK guesses at best.
Power Commander canned maps error on the side of rich rather than lean to protect them from liability issues.
SERT canned maps are usually a bit worse because the MOCO has to guess on the side of lean instead rich for whatever reason(s) except for WOT.
Best thing to do is to put a PCIII map for your build and get to a tuner to have it maximized for your bikes needs.
Hope this helps,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

gtcoupe

As an addendum to what FLTRI wrote, be careful which tuner you go to.  I'll have a story to tell in a few days.   :wink:

FLTRI

Quote from: gtcoupe on February 27, 2009, 08:48:25 PM
As an addendum to what FLTRI wrote, be careful which tuner you go to.  I'll have a story to tell in a few days.   :wink:
Hopefully it will have a happy ending  :smile:
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

gtcoupe