April 27, 2024, 04:30:39 PM

News:

Finally tore down a v-rod engine

Started by u4hd2, November 23, 2013, 10:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

u4hd2

After what, about 12 years we finally had to take a v-rod engine apart. No, nothing wrong with the motor, it was a cam on the shifter drum that came loose. I knew those special tools we had to buy $$$ (late 2001) would come in handy.  RC
Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer

kristian

Kris

rbabos

Quote from: u4hd2 on November 23, 2013, 10:02:38 AM
After what, about 12 years we finally had to take a v-rod engine apart. No, nothing wrong with the motor, it was a cam on the shifter drum that came loose. I knew those special tools we had to buy $$$ (late 2001) would come in handy.  RC
Well, technically you only had to take the lower case half off to access the complete trans. Crank, pistons, heads all remain intact. That part has been updated as well as the forks I believe, quite some time ago, so the new parts will be better.
Ron

u4hd2

You are right, Ron, so I guess I still haven't tore a v-rod engine apart. But I did get to look
at the bottom. lol

rbabos

Quote from: u4hd2 on November 30, 2013, 12:28:25 PM
You are right, Ron, so I guess I still haven't tore a v-rod engine apart. But I did get to look
at the bottom. lol
What exactly happened to the shifter drums on the early models? Got pics?
Ron

geezerglide11441

rbabos, as an update to my post of March 19,2013 (reply #13) I currently have about 5,000 miles on my 2013 Muscle and really like the Power Vision. As previously stated, I have the V&H Comp II slip-ons, PV-1 Tuner and the Moto Houligan Air Box. I have done several Auto Tune sessions and the bike is running awesome. I have several friends that have subsequently gone to the PV from various other tuners and they are very happy with the tuner as well.

I have also went into the WinPV software and adjusted my AFR table somewhat - i.e. my current cruise range is set at 14.2, with the idle set at 13.9 and this thing is strong. I can say if I had purchased the V-Rod prior to any of the Twin Cams I have had, I would not have had them. However, I still have a 2013 Trike with the 120r crate motor in that I ride whenever the wife comes along. I also am a member of 1130cc.com for my V-Rod "stuff". Didn't realize until recently that HTT had a V-Rod section!!

Take care,

Roger
2013 H-D V-Rod Muscle - V&H, Moto Hooligan Air Box, Dynojet Power Vision Tuner

rbabos

Quote from: geezerglide11441 on December 01, 2013, 06:24:20 PM
rbabos, as an update to my post of March 19,2013 (reply #13) I currently have about 5,000 miles on my 2013 Muscle and really like the Power Vision. As previously stated, I have the V&H Comp II slip-ons, PV-1 Tuner and the Moto Houligan Air Box. I have done several Auto Tune sessions and the bike is running awesome. I have several friends that have subsequently gone to the PV from various other tuners and they are very happy with the tuner as well.

I have also went into the WinPV software and adjusted my AFR table somewhat - i.e. my current cruise range is set at 14.2, with the idle set at 13.9 and this thing is strong. I can say if I had purchased the V-Rod prior to any of the Twin Cams I have had, I would not have had them. However, I still have a 2013 Trike with the 120r crate motor in that I ride whenever the wife comes along. I also am a member of 1130cc.com for my V-Rod "stuff". Didn't realize until recently that HTT had a V-Rod section!!

Take care,

Roger
Shhhhhhhh. Don't let the secret out. :hyst: I like the PV as well and the bike itself, well you understand that part of it. :wink:
Ron

u4hd2

Ron, don't have pics, wouldn't do any good anyway. The drum is aluminum with the metal shift cam pressed
on the end with a dowel pin to keep it from slipping. the cam came loose and slid away from the dowel. The guy
road this bike home at about 70 mph for over 100 miles, in 3rd gear. Said it didn't seem to be straining any.
The replacement kit had the drum made the same way, it was the shifter paws that was different. GO figure?

rbabos

Quote from: u4hd2 on December 03, 2013, 05:41:01 PM
Ron, don't have pics, wouldn't do any good anyway. The drum is aluminum with the metal shift cam pressed
on the end with a dowel pin to keep it from slipping. the cam came loose and slid away from the dowel. The guy
road this bike home at about 70 mph for over 100 miles, in 3rd gear. Said it didn't seem to be straining any.
The replacement kit had the drum made the same way, it was the shifter paws that was different. GO figure?
Well, it will do 60 in first. Must have been loafing in 3rd then. :hyst: Bet the milage sucked though with those rpms. I must have been thinking the forks were revised in stead of the drum. Can't actually remember reading about drum issues. :scratch:
Ron

Reddog74usa

Ok, Let me get this straight. Geezerglide rides a V-Rocket. I like it. I don't own a V-Rod but stop in on this section from time to time to check it out. Do ya'll feel comfortable on these bikes when your out on a long ride or are they just fer shitt'n n gitt'n?
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

rbabos

Quote from: Reddog74usa on December 27, 2013, 02:48:53 PM
Ok, Let me get this straight. Geezerglide rides a V-Rocket. I like it. I don't own a V-Rod but stop in on this section from time to time to check it out. Do ya'll feel comfortable on these bikes when your out on a long ride or are they just fer shitt'n n gitt'n?
My opinion based on my previous softail, 07 fxstc.  I can ride all day long and still not be burnt out at the end of the day. Better ride and lack of vibration, I just feel less fatigued at the end of the day even without a windshield. 2012+ Night rods are different in ergonomics then previous years with reduced reach pegs and bars so body postion on my 5'8 frame it pretty comfy. Seems the longer I own it the better I like the bike. For me, it works. It's hard to explain the attraction for these bikes . Took me two years to pull the trigger on one and each test ride set the hook even more. No regrets.
Ron