May 03, 2024, 10:12:17 AM

News:

rocker shaft cap stuck

Started by who444444, February 27, 2009, 06:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

who444444

my rocker shaft cap was weeping so I thought I'd replace the O rings on each shaft.
Of course the first three went fine but the last one is just spinning the shaft and backing off the nut on the other side.
are there any tricks short of removing the rocker shaft that anyone has had luck with?
Thanks in advance for your response,
dave

otis

Use an impact, it'll come right off.

Pat

who444444

thanks for the response.I tried my impact but I think my poor little compressor doesn't turn my gun fast enough.
I'll try again at my worksite in a few days.
dave

96flhpi

If you can get the left side nut off double nut it (one as a lock nut jammed against the other) - hold left side while loosening right.  Thats what I did when refreshing my boxes, 'course shafts were out of the box at the time, don't know if you'd have enough room when still installed.

What about getting pressure on the shaft by making sure it's valve is opened, or would that booger anything up?

Always the last one of any set of repairs that gives you the problem, huh, least that's what always happens to me.  Good luck.

Hybredhog

I usually try to load the given rocker by having that valve open, and hit it hard & fast with an impact. If the double nutting doesn't work, unload that pushrod and take the left side nut off & then you can Chase the shaft out with a long screwdriver to keep the rocker & spacer in place. IF you have a leathe, you can chuck it up & lock in the back gear & then hit it with air, I've had to use heat sometimes...Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

who444444

thanks all, I'll try these tips and see what happens.
dave

Dennman

If ya can't get two nuts on the shaft end in the rocker box ,try getting a nut that will fit the shaft and cut it in half.Use the two halves ta lock the shaft while undooin the right side.
Don't let the bastards get you down!

v10ole

I have had that same problem if ya get one side off find a drift about the same size or a little smaller and use it to push the shaft out go slow and all will stay in place and reverse to reinstall works great. Ole