May 06, 2024, 06:37:46 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Battery Failed Me: Replacement Options; Stranded on the Road

Started by flhs90, February 28, 2009, 07:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhs90

Evo Riders:

Well my turn came. Stopped at the bank in Philomath, Oregon yesterday after a sweet ride over the coast range mountains at air temperature of 43 degrees F.
Much to my chagrin, the old gal woudn't start. It finally fired. After  the next stop, I could not get it to start. Fortunately there is a great guy named Jonus with an European accent that runs an iny shop called Independent Motorcycle Repair in Philomath on the west bound side of Hwy 20 heading towards Newport.

He was willing to let me borrow a pair of pliers to pull the side cover and battery. At first we thought it might be the starter solenoid malfunctioning.
Anyway another customer of his who rides a big bagger Susuki Cavalcade that is loaded to the hilt agreed to push Harley FLHS over the block and a half to his shop. We determined the battery to be "shot."

He could "order" one at a cost of $87 but I would have to leave the bike. No problem. I had recently purchased some EBC brake pads from him  some other stuff a while back. The battery that came out was a 7/2004 Interstate brand. Well we wanted to get the bike home and out of his "hair" so to speak.
Just then my friends Billy and Barb happened to be driving by. They offered to take me around to find a battery. My options were Napa, etc. , the Honda shop, or the Harley shop in Albany.

Long story short I now have a sealed "Aborbed Glass Mat" HD labled (made in the USA; i.e. "costs more" to pay those family wages), a trickel charger battery tender + lead wires from the battery for quick disconnect.

I ended up spending $25 to get the American Motorcycle Classic Discount card allowing me 20% off my purchasesfor 1 year.

Cost to get on the road:

$110.20 Battery part # 66010-82B (list $137.75)
$31.96   Battery Tender part # 94654-98A (list $39.95)

$4.76  Quick Disconnet cord  (list $10.95)

$25.00 "Super Discount Card (list $25)

Out the door on the road $172

Ride home in the dark 37 degrees, "Priceless, Little Sliver of a Crescent Moon with Venus the Evening Star", pitch black out, bike back to square 1."
Friends "Priceless"
Good honest indy "Priceless"
The Adventure: Worth it all.

Now I could have problably saved some money by not going to the dealer, but everybody seemed to have to order one and I would have had to left the bike, returned Monday, not have it available for more rides, etc.

Hats off to everybody. Ride it like ya stole it.

FLHS 90 :beer:

1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

JohnS_Rosamond

What was the battery voltage?  Are you sure that it was a battery that lost a cell or could it be that you have a charging issue?  Even if the rotor and stator test good, you might have a bad regulator.  I went to a breakfast ride that was about 75 miles away (met some HTT folks), just as I got home (within 2 miles) the bike started bucking and choking.  Turns out my charging system had tanked and I'd been riding on the battery only all day.  That was a lucky day.

Norton Commando

I mounted a LED charging system indicator on my '90 FLHS and it really helps prevent unplanned repairs on the charging system.
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

dave_9113

Glad it all worked out, and the price for the Harley AGM battery is worth it.  They are good batteries. 

I would not be satisfied until I check the whole charging system to be sure.

dave

takwolf

I have one of the LED indicators like Norton. Works great, easy to install. Let's ya know when things aren't working right.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

dave_9113

Can you guys post pics and let us know how you hooked up the LED?  Thanks.

dave 

Blazing Saddles

I've been using the H-D AGM battery with issues for years. I keep it on the battery tender over the winter.
Oh yea,  that quarter moon close to Venus was spectacular!!!

Blazin'

mp

I bought an H-D AGM battery back in '00, but it only cost $66 at a dealer.  Just replaced it a year ago.

flhs90

mp:

Looks like inflation has doulbled the price. List $137. Had to pay 25 bucks for the discount.

The Interstate Battery was sealed as well. It lasted 5 years and now I believe it was just drained down to nothing.
New regulator is on it's way traveling across the good ol USA via a UPS semi truck.

Zanottis cut me good deal. Can't wait to ride again. Just installed new EBC brake pads. I need to get some brake caliper pin lube to complete the repair.

This is a lot of fun and I can't believe the "joy" I get from learning about my new "hobby" the ins and outs of a 1990 Harley Big Twin FLHS.
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon