May 04, 2024, 10:31:55 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Loc-tite

Started by x52gnr, November 07, 2008, 08:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

x52gnr

I know there are several different grades of loc-tite. I have the blue but the red comes in several grades from what I see. Anyone know what grade to use for compensating nut and front drive pulley nut?
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

fbn ent

little bit of red (271)
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

JDhog211

HD calls for Loctite 262 Red.

JDhog
Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting the other person to die.

Ultra003

Dave

Scurvy

Loc-tite tastes funny. I'm afraid to go to that page and see what it's made of.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

TXChop

Quote from: Scurvy on November 07, 2008, 10:17:24 AM

Yeah, but when you can tell the different taste of red and blue, you are really a pro!

Pilgrim

fbn-ent says a little bit of Loctite red. 

Let me say it again:  a LITTLE BIT of Loctite red.  That means, on the comp sprocket, two drops as I recall.

I could have made coffee for everybody in Seattle with the heat I used on an old shovelhead to get the comp sprocket apart after the hotshot who owned it before me ran what was probably a bead of it all the way around the shaft. Even with that heat, I had to use an impact wrench to turn it loose verrrrry slowly.  And that, of course, meant overhauling the crank.  So use it judiciously.

Dave posted a link to the Loctite site.  It's worth a visit.  You'll find out there are more kinds of Loctite than you ever imagined.  They even make one usable as a, uhhh, "personal lubricant" that not only holds thing together, it holds things up :wink: if you know what I mean.

Pilgrim
Your bike is $2,000 away from being dead, solid perfect.  And it always will be.

Trip

""And that, of course, meant overhauling the crank""  ...say what??? ..where do these myths start???..you aint hurtin a damn thing removing that nut with an impact...the damage starts when using an impact to "torque" it back on...and even then...its rarely.

x52gnr

No body around here has the 262  only 271...can that be used for the pully nut and comp sprocket nut?
2012 Heritage Softail

HDpanman11

The problem doesn't exist by turning it loose.
The problems CAN exist by tighten it with a impact wrench.
You can damage the magnets.
Magnets in general doesn't,t like hard impacts.
Also it is possible that the magnets on the flywheel come loose by the impact wrench.
Seen this several times, on different HD's.

Greets Dutch :smiled:

Sonny S.

Quote from: TXCHOP on November 07, 2008, 11:50:29 AM
Quote from: Scurvy on November 07, 2008, 10:17:24 AM

Yeah, but when you can tell the different taste of red and blue, you are really a pro!

271 is fine..... trust me.... I'm really a pro !!   :smilep:

Evo160K

Fwiw loctite threadlocker, and I believe other loctite products, have a shelf life, a "use by date."  I confirmed this directly with loctite's technical people.  It's been a while, but I believe it's two years from the date of manufacture.  There is a manufactured date code on each bottle.  Two of the letters in the code give the month and year manufactured.  Again, it's been a while.  Maybe someone here can help out with the code.

nc-renegade

Quote from: x52gnr on November 10, 2008, 09:50:57 AM
No body around here has the 262  only 271...can that be used for the pully nut and comp sprocket nut?

I got my at Fastenal.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

x52gnr

Quote from: nc-renegade on November 11, 2008, 02:13:57 PM
Quote from: x52gnr on November 10, 2008, 09:50:57 AM

I got my at Fastenal.

Actually that is where I found mine, there is one right across the street from my shop.... :up:
2012 Heritage Softail