2004 Softail Standard 95 10.24:1 need new starter.

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, December 09, 2013, 07:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Looking for reccomendations for a new starter for my 2004 softail. The original is nearing its end of life I believe due to my not stock motor.........Been getting by for a few years but I feel I need one which will spin this motor over faster.

I failed to install compression releases during biuld and now I feel the need to replace the starter due to low starting speeds causing kick back from time to time.

I have upgraded the cables to 2 guage and a fresh battery....Starter is the original 2004.

Any suggestions and brands and part numbers?

Thanks

Member since 2004

ThumperDeuce

I know your looking for more power, but I have the original '04 starter off my Deuce for sale in the swap section.  Only used 1 season.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Yes I saw that  a few days agao but when I looked the other day I did not see it, I must have missed it.. I will recheck...thanks
Member since 2004

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Member since 2004

HV

If you know someone with the Jig for installing releases...it can be done with the heads still on the bike... save you a lot of grief ....just the rocker boxes need to be removed
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Blazing Saddles

Check out the starters from Cycle Electrics.  I used their starters on two bikes starting 107" engines and they worked flawlessly.  BTW, US made as I recall and great customer service.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Quote from: HV on December 09, 2013, 11:13:43 AM
If you know someone with the Jig for installing releases...it can be done with the heads still on the bike... save you a lot of grief ....just the rocker boxes need to be removed

Yes I do intend to check on this in the spring. Talked to one local indy and he wanted $500.

That with the releases is over $700........not gonna happen........

I said thanks for the info.......If I could rent the jigs I would do it myself!
Member since 2004

rageglide

You may be able to get away with travel limiters in your lifters.  Doesn't sounds like your CCC is too high if you're only having occasional problems, (mostly when hot?).

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Quote from: rageglide on December 09, 2013, 02:20:22 PM
You may be able to get away with travel limiters in your lifters.  Doesn't sounds like your CCC is too high if you're only having occasional problems, (mostly when hot?).

I have S&S travel limiters already installed when the motor was built in 2010.
Thanks
Member since 2004

Buffalo

Before you give up on your present starter, remove the solenoid cover and have a look at the contact bars and movable plate. these can get charred very badly from years of use andcause current to starter to drop drastically!
If a starter replacement is still required, I'd choose the HD version from Harley (1.4) or an All Balls Racing starter (either 1.4 or 1.6) Both will serve you for years to come. fwiw Buffalo

rageglide

So much for that idea then.  That probably explains why it's not a huge problem.  I'm not convinced the high output starters are a cure for this... not to mention they are usually over $400.   Not sure where you're at, but around here installing compression releases is maybe $150 if you bring the heads off the bike.  Some will say you really only need to do the rear head... but I'd be hard pressed to do just the one when I'm that close... 

Also as Buffalo said, check on the solenoid guts, rebuild kits are fairly cheap.

Coff 06

Quote from: ΚĜΗΟŜΤ on December 09, 2013, 11:59:54 AM
Quote from: HV on December 09, 2013, 11:13:43 AM

Yes I do intend to check on this in the spring. Talked to one local indy and he wanted $500.

That with the releases is over $700........not gonna happen........

I said thanks for the info.......If I could rent the jigs I would do it myself!

For that kind of money,you could have a fully ported set of heads with C/Rs installed.     Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

04 SE Deuce

A decent 1.4kw starter will likely spin it over with enough more authority to end your kick-back problem.  Had to leave the chrome end cover off on my 04 softail as there isn't room with the 1.4kw...went black with chrome bolts.   Rick

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Quote from: dr. evil on December 09, 2013, 11:20:46 PM
S&S Easy Start Cams.

Yes I regret not using these........in 2010 they were just hitting the market.....was not sure on using these back then so I went with stahndard S&S 570's.......
Hind sight is always 20-20.............. :sheep:
Member since 2004