May 08, 2024, 02:21:30 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What's the trick to remove oil seals from lower fork sliders

Started by Iron horse, December 09, 2013, 04:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron horse

I just removed front shocks from a 69 El glide. I got every thing apart but oil seals need some help .

Iron horse

Alright do I have to call them the front forks to get a answer .

Breeze

A little impatient are we?    I use two flathead screwdrivers in an X pattern. One to pry, the other as a fulcrum.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Iron horse

Quote from: Breeze on December 09, 2013, 06:07:19 PM
A little impatient are we?    I use two flathead screwdrivers in an X pattern. One to pry, the other as a fulcrum.

Try the screwdriver thing. I was thinking something that opens like wings on a slide hammer.

easyricer

Yeah the older style forks are kind of a pain. The seals will come out with a 3 prong puller and then you have to deal with the bushings. Forking by Frank, will rebuild them for you for a small price and replace and resize the new bushings. They'll work as well as new. If you don't have the tools, I'd highly recommend Frank....
You can also call RetroCycle in New Jersey, I'm sure they are used to doing them also.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

CraigArizona85248

+1 ^^^^^ You aren't kidding about rebuilding the lower sliders being a pain with the early HydraGlides ('49-early'77).  I have a set of the Harley-Davidson rebuild tools for HydraGlide lowers and I still dread this job.  I didn't know Franks would rebuild the old lowers.  That's someone I would trust to do the job!

Oh... and I use exactly the method Breeze described to remove the seals.  Two screw drivers.  One to pry, the other as a fulcrum.

-Craig