May 02, 2024, 05:33:39 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

INTERNAL BELT DRIVE FOR PRIMARY DRIVE

Started by Skybobber, February 28, 2009, 09:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skybobber

Has anyone used an internal belt in place of the chain? If so, what are the pros and cons on this? :pop:

Thanks ahead of time and Ride Safe!!!

Sky
People who say money is the root of all evil, doesn't have any!!!

stroker800

I have replaced all 3 of my chains with belts,,,there is no oil to deal with,,no chain adjustments,,a complete kit gets you a better clutch,,a 3" open will take a ton of HP and of course the cool factor....the downfalls are alignment has to be tighter,,have to vent the primary for cooling,,,an oil leak will destroy belt,,,clutch chatter on the open drives,,,rocks goin thru belt,,, having the open spinning belt grab your pant leg and the clutch possibly grinding off your ankle..

Dave

Skybobber

Thanks for the reply Stroker, not sure if you understood my question or not, then again, maybe you did, but just to clear up a few things. I'll add this.......All I would like to do is swap out my chain and sprocket and rear sprocket/clutch hub for a belt and all, and close her back up. Nothing Open, other then maybe a vent for cooling :pop:

bigtone

I ran one on an old shovel back maybe 20 years ago. It was a primo setup. Heat and oil are very bad for belts. You have to add vents for cooling and make sure you have to oil vapors leaking around the sprocket shaft. When the shovel was stock, It seemed to hold up decent. When I stroked the engine to 86 inches (that was big back then!) I started snapping belts no matter what I tried with it. The wide open belts seem alot stronger that the skinny belts that fit under the primary cover. I switched it to a chain and would never go back to primary belt again. Secondary belts are excellent, though.

sandrooney

The trick is to make sure they are lined up. I had belts on three shovels ( one a 96 inch ), and a panhead. Broke one belt in thousands of miles, would replace every 40,000 or so just cause they only cost 50 bucks back then and that was cheap insurance.
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

Bullwinkle

I have a Primo Rivera setup on a Confederate and it works pretty good.  I like the dry clutch, but it's noisy with the clutch lever pulled in.  I like the mechanical sound, too but would guess not everyone does.

I think the internal belt is about 1 1/4 or so wide, I haven't measured it.  It works fine and the primary cover doesn't stick out any more than any other Harley.

As for strength, I have had the bike for about 3 years, maybe 4, and have put more than 6 thousand miles or so on it in that time with no problems at all.  I would have put more, but the ergonomics won't let me go more than about 2-2 1/2  hours at a stretch.  The engine is a souped up STD 120" with about 130-135 HP, and a -very- sticky 200 rear tire.

No reason why there would be any problems related to torque.  If your engine has 100 lb/ft of torque, that is all that is transmitted to the belt.  With the stock HD transmission low gear of 3.24, you would have 324 lb/ft transferred to the rear wheel, and the stock HD belt holds up to it.  Just vent the cover.

Bullwinkle

d-dog

I'm running an enclosed BDL belt drive on my 89" shovel.  As said above, keep it ventilated with mesh derby and mesh inspection plate.  Trouble free for the last 20K.  Just be sure you don't adjust it too tight.  They tighten as they warm up.
Dog

bigtone

The Harley rear belts have Kevlar. Very strong. Back at least when I ran a belt primary, no one claimed that their belt was kevlar, In fact, I couldn't get a good answer from Primo what their belt was made out of. Primo's ran an idler, and I suspect that the idler may have caused some of the problems. Open belt drives work nice and look great, but for me at least I just couldnt see what what gained by installing a belt then covering it up.

gryphon

Back in the mid-70's I installed a Karata enclosed system. At the time I swore by it. I was the first guy most people ever met who had a belt. Even when I bumped up to 80ci in the late 70's I had no problems. Since then I have tried primary belt drives like 3 or 4 times and every single time they left me stranded. I wouldn't run one again if you pulled a gun on me.

paulkay

My 87 FXSTC inner primary started showing porosity (leaked oil) at about 110,000, so figuring cost of replacement (inner primary, chain, snapped clutch towers) I went with BDL belt and clutch. Alignment and getting stuff out of the way was major, kept shaking bolts out of clutch went through about three belts. Pulled Sturgis about three times with no plucking trailer and state run arounds and had to change clutch housing last year. Current mileage about 240,000,  BDL dry clutch great improvement over stock but noisy.

dave_9113

Quote from: skybobber on February 28, 2009, 09:08:30 PM
Has anyone used an internal belt in place of the chain? If so, what are the pros and cons on this? :pop:

Thanks ahead of time and Ride Safe!!!

Sky

Is there something wrong with your chain primary.  If not, I suggest you keep it, unless it's just a personal choice.  The chain primary will outlast the belt easily.  There's pros and cons to both, but you'll find out there are more minus to having a belt.  I do run an enclosed belt primary on my shovel. 

Gryph-I'm running a 14mm Karata belt set up in tin primary on my hardtail shovel now.  The pulleys are getting worn.  I think I will go back to chain or get the 8mm BDL kick only unit.  Wouldn't trust it going cross country right now. 

dave 

rattlecan

Primo Rivera 1 3/4 totally enclosed.  Vented derby cover. Belt is almost indestructable and would highly recommend this set up. Don't know if I'd ride around Phoenix in the summertime, but with a little ventilation, you'll be fine.   A little noisy in nuetral, but don't notice it when you get going.

Skybobber

[/quote]

Is there something wrong with your chain primary.  If not, I suggest you keep it, unless it's just a personal choice.  The chain primary will outlast the belt easily.  There's pros and cons to both, but you'll find out there are more minus to having a belt.  I do run an enclosed belt primary on my shovel. 

Gryph-I'm running a 14mm Karata belt set up in tin primary on my hardtail shovel now.  The pulleys are getting worn.  I think I will go back to chain or get the 8mm BDL kick only unit.  Wouldn't trust it going cross country right now. 

dave 
[/quote]

No Dave, nothing wrong other then I don't have one, I have the 3" BDL and is a little too noisy for my taste along with a few other discrepancies, I'm gonna go with the old chain concept i guess.......after all, it's a no brain er as to whats stronger (Belt or Chain) lol..... What i do like about the dry clutch is the ez of shifting, OK, my mind is made up, going with the Chain and Trans Fluid combo.

Thanks for all your help guys!!!!!

Sky