April 28, 2024, 03:52:25 AM

News:

Poor fire on rear cylinder!

Started by jchcobra, March 01, 2009, 05:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jchcobra

Own a 06 XL1200 Custom. Stage 1 kit installed. When I put bike away for winter last November, I was checking it all out and found that when I remove the plug wire from rear cylinder while at idle, it makes almost no difference in rpm's! Pull wire off front cylinder and noticable change in rpm's. Compression is good, Carb has been redone by Harley Performance, and bike seems strong when rpm's are up. Idles like sh__! Sound like bad coil? Stumped without the proper test equipment. Anyone have ideas?? jchcobra  :beer:

andyxlh

Hello Mate
there's a good chance you could have an air leak on the manifold which will cause this sort of problem. one of the plugs might well be black which would confirm it. the intake manifold seals are rubber which go hard with the heat and then leak a little causing one of the cylinders to run real lean. not a big job to replace if you have the stock tank and setup, but you have a fuel injection so not so sure...
i would think it would be unlikely to be a coil issue on one cylinder, but could also be a lead or plug. You can get replacement leads from any auto shop really cheap.
cheers mate
Andy
Sydney
'89xlh
'96flhr
www.youfreeweb.com/andysharleys
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

jchcobra

Hey Andy,
Thanks for the advice guy. Heading out to my local dealer tomorrow and get seals and no doubt other stuff! Checked out your site and found it interesting. You can check out my site for my other hobby when I can't ride. http://deerfeeder1.tripod.com/
Thanks again,
jchcobra

andyxlh

Wow what a great site! really interesting - my parents have small deer in their back yard in Hertfordshire, UK. We live in the city so don't see any 'roos around here, but took a ride on my FLHR with the wife last weekend and saw lots of wombats and kangaroos - a bit unsettling on the bike!
will be back to look at your site again for sure!
cheers
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble