May 02, 2024, 12:12:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tuning Idle with DTSII+ WegoIIID

Started by strokerjlk, March 01, 2009, 07:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strokerjlk

07 96 CI ULTRA SE 204 CAMS STOCK HEADS SE A/C RH/TD SERT
I have now installed SE 204 cams and starting the tune with a new DTS wegoIIID
Question
I cant seem to get the graphs to show front/rear sensor AFR . If i try to just idle I dont get any sensor AFR or ve percent correction display info. I got a correction from a 10 min data run (-22 ve f/r 0% 1000 rpm) and( - 23 ve 0% throttle 1250 RPM front and -19 ve rear)
but nothing when at just a idle collecting data.
2nd question
I tuned my AFR at idle with the real time display. I only adjusted in the 0% throttle 1000 rpm cells front /rear. I am using my map from the stock cams (176 ae104) that was tuned on a dyno to open loop. I was at 13.8 AFR at idle with stock cams. I was at 11.0 front  and 12.2 rear at idle.( with the cam change).....I am at 13.4 now f/r with the changes to ve mentioned above. I went from 74.5 ve front to 54.0 ve and 85.0 ve rear to 67.0 ve . This seems like a drastic change although it was very rich! So is it ok to tune the idle using real time and only changing the 0% 1000 rpm cells untill I can collect some more riding data. The reason I dont have much riding data is weather and I cut my little finger off recently and not feeling 100% when riding.
Thanks
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

FLTRI

Quote from: strokerjlk on March 01, 2009, 07:43:53 AM
07 96 CI ULTRA SE 204 CAMS STOCK HEADS SE A/C RH/TD SERT
So is it ok to tune the idle using real time and only changing the 0% 1000 rpm cells untill I can collect some more riding data.
Since your bike varies its idle speed from about 800 to about 1250, depending on circumstances like first start warmup, warm restart, warm idle, and hot idle, my suggestion is to make similar changes to the rpms from 500-1500.
This way your engine's idle AFR will be a bit more constant through those rpms.

PS- One reason for the gross change in VE (fuel requirements) is due to the gross change in cam timing. Your engine is no where near as efficient at idle with the new performance cams as with the stockers, so far less fuel is needed. This is also the reason you need a lot more fuel in the higher torque areas such as 2500-3500 rpm than with the stock cams.

Hope this helps,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

strokerjlk

OK I dont know what I did that was diff. than before but it is logging at idle now!
Thanks bob for your response. This is what I suspected. To make changes to 500-1500 range. I just couldn't get it to log the data.

Frank
thank you for responding also I think I have a handle on logging at idle now. I am far from expert level and am sure there will be more questions to follow! LOL!
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory