May 05, 2024, 02:13:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary Cover Starter Bushing for '96 Evo

Started by Velocity1, March 01, 2009, 09:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velocity1

Can anybody tell me the part number for the large aluminum bushing that goes in the outer primary cover bore for the starter jackshaft engagement bushing? 

I have the brass or bearing bronze thin liner bushing that the jackshaft nose actually engages and rides on when the starter is engaged.

I only need the aluminum larger bushing that the brass colored bushing gets pressed into after you press this larger bushing into the outer primary bushing hole first.

Thanks, V1
'02 FX"Custom"ST
Go Big, or Go Home...

gryphon

Looked through several parts books and couldn't even find a picture of what you're describing. So, I went out to the shop and looked at some outer primaries. Some were OEM and a couple were aftermarket. None of them has anything other than the bronze busing that the jackshaft slips into. The earlier ones used a bushing and a needle bearing. Sorry I culdn't help but I'm lost on this one.

Velocity1

I looked at an Ultra Cycles closed belt driven primary and all it has is the bronze thin wall bushing installed in the cover.  The one we want to install has an aluminum bushing pressed into the primary cover hole then the bronze bushing is pressed into the the aluminum bushing.  The Ultra useses the 9/66 starter gearing and the jackshaft pilot O/D, (that engages the bushing in the primary cover), is .870.  My stock '02 jackshaft 12/102(?) O/D is .187 smaller, or .683 in diameter.  I measured the hole that accepts the bushing in both primaries, they're the same, only the new DS primary is for a newer bike and has the extra aluminum liner in it and smaller bronze bushing to accept the newer style 12 tooth jackshaft pilot.

Seems like there has to be a pn for this aluminum spacer bushing that takes up the extra room for the install of the smaller bushing as the primary has various applications.  I know it sounds strange, but with the basic hole being the same in both primaries I need to remove the aluminum and brass bushing assy. and install the larger I/D - O/D thin wall bronze bushing just like the one that came in the Ultra Cycles.

If nobody chimes in with the lucky number I'm looking for, I guess I'll have to hit the books to see what I can find out about these liners and bushings.  Ultra has been little to no help with questions my Buddy has had about this bike he bought.  It has been cobbled together and apparently their build records weren't kept or accurate.
'02 FX"Custom"ST
Go Big, or Go Home...

Velocity1

Anybody elese have any ideas or pn's for these bushings?

Thnx.
'02 FX"Custom"ST
Go Big, or Go Home...

Gonzo

Gimme some specs on the diameter of the alum ring itself. I have an aluminum ring/spacer out in the garage, but dont remember what its from. But I think its from the primary.Got a pic?