May 08, 2024, 08:59:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

High mile RevTech's?

Started by oldriged, March 01, 2009, 10:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldriged

Hi to all , was wondering are there any high mile RevTechs out there? Might be looking to put one in a 98 RK. 100inch, or maybe a Ultima, any thoughts, opinions? any for sale? Thanks.  Oh by the way it is snowing like a bi*** in Alabama, wow yesterday it was 78

Hybredhog

Ive sold several Ultima motors, "smaller" 107s' for stock replacement Evos, and they're a pretty solid motor that pumps out about 114 hp & Tq, I'd by one for my own bike if I needed one. Ultima is going to be releaseing their version of a Twin cam later this summer, along with replacement flywheels, should definetly be better than stock at a reasonable price....Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

oldriged

Thanks for the reply, I kind of was leaning toward the Ultima, but some body told me the gen3 revtech is pretty decent, with me price is a little bit of an issue, must stay in budget. :emsad:

gryphon

I haven't heard anything bad about the Gen 3 Rev Tech's so maybe they finaly got their problems taken care of. Their reputation still sucks though. Guys are always gonna remember the seller on ebay who was selling RT crankshafts by the pallet full.  It may reduce the value of yur bike by about the same price you're paying for the motor.

oldriged

Good point on the de-value .  I might just take the extra heads and cylinders I have and up grade like that, I don't want to bore the cases and someone told me the motor route might be the best bang for my buck, thanks for your comments

Glenn W

RevTech's dug such a hole for a rep that you may be able to get one for a low price, depends how much of a gambler you are and if you're keeping the OEM as a backup. That said, I know a couple of guys pissed at S&S too, so it may have something to do with HOW you drive and WHO builds it-kind of like every argument on Fords vs Chevies vs MoPars vs...............Most motors are bulletproof if ya baby them but I can't see building a high(er) powered bike if your not gonna roll yer wrist a lot :wink:
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

BigE1340

I have 18k on my 100" RevTech 4x4 and have only had the ignition module go south which they warranty.I doubt that it will de value sh*& on an EVO sh&^ get real.....Good motor and have had very good luck with it.Installed it in my 1995 bagger and it pulls like a freight train... :duel:

BigE1340

Oh it is a gen 3 motor...... :bf:

oldriged

Hey BigE1340 thanks for the reply. I suppose you can find good or bad in any motor. Sounds like you have a good one.

PaJoe

I believe  Ultima is on it's way to being the #1 manufacturer of after market engines for the average rider. There are better built engines, but not in that price range.

dakota224

For $2,995.00 you can buy a NEW 80" Evo motor from H-D .

Hossamania

Are you talking about the re-manufacturing program for $2995.00?
I think you have to have the Dealer do the R&R.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

deathwish

don't forget and sell yourself short on building a good rock solid 89" stroker. i have built several with S&S cranks balanced to Wiseco Forged 1200 sportster flat top pistons. These engine have a lot of torque and good HP. No bored cases and the lighter piston weight vs the heavy cast 89" piston does wonders.

PaJoe

March 02, 2009, 02:04:07 AM #13 Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 02:11:21 AM by PaJoe
Quote from: dakota224 on March 01, 2009, 06:21:40 PM
For $2,995.00 you can buy a NEW 80" Evo motor from H-D .

I seem to remember a HD dealer advertising in Walneck's Classic Motorcycle new, late model evo engines for about that price, and it was a crate engine, you installed it yourself. I think you used your own intake , carb, ignition etc.

I think www.jirehcycles.com sells "complete", "pre-run" black Ultima engines delivered to your door via a lift gate truck for less than $4,000. 

When I purchased mine, they had the same price for all the Ultima engine regardless of size or if they were EPA approved or not. The biggest problem is deciding how big you want to go, I was told the 100" are the most reliable and the 113" are the most popular. I think  the 107" would be  great for touring and the 120/127 both need oil coolers (not so good for touring), never heard much about engines smaller than 100".  The EPA has a 2 year warranty and  the non-EPA has a 1 year warranty. However; and here adds another big question: the traditional non-epa warranty is not as strict as the EPA version, with the EPA versions you are more limited in what changes you can make to the engine and still receive warranty credit. After discussing it on several forums, I changed my order to the NON-EPA. Most of the Ultima engine owners on the forums have the NON-EPA versions. I have never seen anything on what the actual differences were internally between an EPA and NON-EPA engine.

I never changed an engine before and still have some setup issues to resolve but have put on over 500 miles and so far truly impressed with the Ultima 113. At first I did not think there was a really big difference between the feel of my 80" ( 10:1 pistons, ev-27,head work, Crane Hi-4 single fire ignition etc.) and the 113 - that was before the 113 was broke in and I actually ran it up to red line - at around 5000 rpms in low gear the 113 really pulls hard, need to hang on and lean front.

http://picasaweb.google.com/flhtcu/80To113EngineUpgrade#

BigE1340

Keep in mind if you buy a reman EVO motor its stock,then you have to throw a bunch of parts at it to make it what you want.I would go either RevTech or ULtima both very good and around $4K If you go high miles I would stick to the 100" the 113" are good too,but might run into some reliabilty issue due to the longer stroke.Both are very good YOU need to decide what fits your riding style..... :soda: