May 06, 2024, 06:54:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

HD PN: for Main Shaft

Started by elvislee, March 01, 2009, 01:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elvislee

Looking for the PN for and or the Main Shaft for a 1989 5-Speed Tranny for my Bro-Laws 89 FXR Evo? Thanks Guys...Blaine

smittyon66

Part number is 35042-85 for 85-89 mainshaft. 35042-90 will fit in that trans, if you want to update it and get rid of the tapered clutch.
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

elvislee

Quote from: smittyon66 on March 01, 2009, 04:59:42 PM
Part number is 35042-85 for 85-89 mainshaft. 35042-90 will fit in that trans, if you want to update it and get rid of the tapered clutch.

Hey smitty, thanks for the info man. Let ma ask another. My friend has a complete gear set out of a 5-speed tranny off a 2000 Road Glide. I'm guessing by the PN's you posted me this set of gears and or shaft wont fit the 89 tranny on my Bro-in -laws bike? I'm guessing the 35042-90 PN is the newer clutch, therefore I would have to make other changes if I tried to use the RG gear set....Thanks for your response man....Blaine

elvislee

This is a letter in response to a friend of mine who has a Gear Set including main shaft from a 2000 Road Glide he offered me If I could utilize in replacing the main shaft on my bro-in-law's 89 5-speed tranny

"I've been checking around on the mainshaft for the 5-speed tranny. I'm still trying to get clarification on some things.

Was told by a local wrench the main shaft (PN: 35042-89) from a 89 tranny is tapered at the end of the shaft and will fit only with the clutch hub designed for that shaft.

Was told he could change the main shaft from the 89 tapered shaft to the 90 straight shaft (PN: 35042-90) and would also need to change clutch hub and maybe the clutch shell, but not sure about the shell. Not sure if number of teeth on shell sprockets will make a difference?

Looked in my parts manual for my 2000 Fxr4 and the my main shaft PN which is 35042-91.

I'm going down to the Harley shop today to see if I can decipher what could be done here. If he gets your 2000 Road Glide gear set and it is a straight shaft vs tapered shaft, will he not only need to change clutch hub but also the clutch shell.

I'm fairly certain your gear set won't work simply by replacing his tapered without changing the hub and or the shell. So, let me check this out and I'll get back with ya....Thanks...Blaine"

Any help or input to this would be appreciated....Thanks....Blaine

elvislee

Quote from: elvislee on March 05, 2009, 06:42:19 AM

This is a letter in response to a friend of mine who has a Gear Set including main shaft from a 2000 Road Glide he offered me If I could utilize in replacing the main shaft on my bro-in-law's 89 5-speed tranny

"I've been checking around on the mainshaft for the 5-speed tranny. I'm still trying to get clarification on some things.

Was told by a local wrench the main shaft (PN: 35042-89) from a 89 tranny is tapered at the end of the shaft and will fit only with the clutch hub designed for that shaft.

Was told he could change the main shaft from the 89 tapered shaft to the 90 straight shaft (PN: 35042-90) and would also need to change clutch hub and maybe the clutch shell, but not sure about the shell. Not sure if number of teeth on shell sprockets will make a difference?

Looked in my parts manual for my 2000 Fxr4 and the my main shaft PN which is 35042-91.

I'm going down to the Harley shop today to see if I can decipher what could be done here. If he gets your 2000 Road Glide gear set and it is a straight shaft vs tapered shaft, will he not only need to change clutch hub but also the clutch shell.

I'm fairly certain your gear set won't work simply by replacing his tapered without changing the hub and or the shell. So, let me check this out and I'll get back with ya....Thanks...Blaine"

Any help or input to this would be appreciated....Thanks....Blaine

Update:

My bro-in law just wants to go with the tapered main shaft for his tranny. Soooooooooooo, If any one has or knows where he can get a 5-speed tranny Main Shaft under any of the following PN's: 35042-85, 35042-89, 35042-90, please LMK....Thanks guys....Blaine

smittyon66

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. If you use the -90 shaft, you have to use the splinded hub for a 90 fxr. The rest of the clutch is the same. This was not an uncommon swap in the early 90's. I did a couple and I an remember reading a magazine article or two about it.

I can't answer your question about using the newer gear set. I've never tried it or looked into it.
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

elvislee

Quote from: smittyon66 on March 05, 2009, 04:41:49 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. If you use the -90 shaft, you have to use the splinded hub for a 90 fxr. The rest of the clutch is the same. This was not an uncommon swap in the early 90's. I did a couple and I an remember reading a magazine article or two about it.

I can't answer your question about using the newer gear set. I've never tried it or looked into it.

Hey Smitty, Thanks for the reply man. Got it all figured out now (I think). Were gonna use the 2000 Road Glide gear set with shaft my friend gave him and get a new clutch hub to match up with that shaft. If we need to get a new outer cluth shell/basket then will do that if his stock basket don't work. Thanks for your input...Blaine