May 09, 2024, 08:16:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

hello I found this forom surffing the web trying to find info on my 56 FLH

Started by tooling around, December 31, 2013, 09:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooling around

I have a large job ahead restoring my fathers 56 FLH
I have just purchased it from his estate he passed a year an half ago
an its still tied up with the probate courts
any way he bought this bike in1962 he rode it a bit
But it just sat for the last 30 yrs so Ive got my hands full
an I hope you guys can give some helpfull info on
this project thanks
                     Tooling around

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

HV

Wow.....nice Ride !!  Im sure we can help you along the way in some capacity  :up:

Welcome to HTT
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Brrrap

82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

Breeze

Nice bike.  Be careful what you do to it.   A phrase I hear a lot about old cars and bikes is "They can be restored many times, but are original only once."
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

panic

"Restoring" a bike of that age isn't really possible using only NOS parts.
The restoration cost is between roughly 1.5 to 2 × the increase in value. Spend $10,000 on a $5,000 bike, get a $10,000 return (less the few years and 1,000 hours invested).
If you don't want it, sell it as-is.
If you do want it, try some fresh gas and a new battery.
I couldn't afford something that expensive that has no brakes (meaning: not a daily driver).

Princess Butt

That's beautiful. I would clean it up, put a fresh battery and some fresh gas in it, and see if it fires off. You might be surprised.

The more I'm around vehicles, I feel less of a need to make them showroom perfect. Keeping it original and running will make you happier in the long run. A friend of mine has an all original '47 Knuck, and he will never restore it; it's all original, and he fires it up a few times a year and rides it for a half an hour, then puts it away.
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

fbn ent

Welcome.   
I agree with the rest. Oil in the cylinders, plugs, new oil in the tank and a new battery. Kick it through for a bit to get some oil moving around. The bike was new once, can't be again. The word I've heard is "patina" to describe anything original. A beauty!
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Area51

Snuff™

Tooling Around,

Leave as is, or bolt a solo seat on her and go on those Sunday morning putts. :bike:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

WFO

2007 FLHX,2003 FLHTI,1986 FXWG,1992 FXR, 1970 340 Cuda

harleywern