April 27, 2024, 07:28:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ironhead Rear brake backing plate bushing

Started by 1972XlchBobber, March 01, 2009, 06:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1972XlchBobber

Does anyone have any experience with the rear brake backing plate on a 1971 Ironhead? The axle goes through the backing plate and there is a bushing that I think I need to replace.

The backing plate does not spin with the wheel. There is a bearing inside the wheel hub that presses against the backing plate. The id of the bearing does not spin but the od of the bearing spins with the wheel.

As the id of the bearing meets the backing plate I believe the id presses on the bushing of the backing plate.

This would all work nice except my bushing on this basket case, new to me is counter sunk into the backing plate. So the backing plate is a bit larger diameter than the bushing and it will encounter the spinning bearing inside the wheel hub.

So my bushing inside the backing plate is counter sunk and I think it should actually stand high above the backing plate. Does this sound correct?

Because my backing plate sinks into the brake drum I am getting an interference, the brakes are bottoming out into the drum, by about .010"
I did this by slipping a cam washer into the drum which removed the interference.

There is no bushing in the parts diagrams, I'm thinking of pushing mine out, measuring it and making a new one.

Thoughts?

Mike

jmanjeff

look no the page in your parts book with the wheel and hub you my be missing  #13   (41195-63)  spacer Washer
1957  Sportster

saltcaveminer

bear with me here but the od of the bearing should not be spinning with the hub.Salty

saltcaveminer

ok let me try again here.the bearing should be tight to the hub and the axle.the bushing in the backing plate should also be tight.if the brakes are rubbing on the backing plate make sure there is a washer behind the operating camshaft.Salty

1972XlchBobber

Yep, I get it, the id of the bearing or inner race is fixed with the axle.  I think I'm going to order some precision washers.  From what I can figure out the steel bushing is not standard on all Sportsters, may be off of an KR?

Thanks for the help.
Mike