May 06, 2024, 04:56:01 PM

News:

Replacing motor on Evo Heritage Softail

Started by jclark311, March 01, 2009, 06:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jclark311

I have a few questions. In the Clymer Repair manual it has you removing the heads to replace the motor. I have a nice Ultima 113 laying around, I think I will buy the Ultima 6 speed trans, and Install them on my 94 Heritage. Am I going to have to rip the top end of the motor apart to install this?

choseneasy

dave_9113

If it's an Evo engine, you should be able to angle it in.  Worse case is to take rear rocker covers off, but definitely none of the heads. 

dave

IronButt62

I am putting an Ultima 113" in my 87 Heritage right now. Did the 6 speed last summer along with upgraded clutch and late model primary/starter.

Engine slips in with no worries. Drop it in from the right side angled to go crankcase first. Once it's on the frame, just slide it over.

Suprisingly, there is slightly more rocker box to frame clearance with the 113" than with the orignal evo. The only clearance issue I had was the left front corner of the front rocker hit the left down tube. Had to relieve about an 1/8" using a dremel and a ball peen hammer.

Mock up of exhaust looks like I will need to dimple the fron header slightly to clear the right down tube.

Last night I discovered that the clearance between the alternator rototr and case was VERY tight. If it is cocked even slightly it will hang up.

Deet

jclark311

Thanks guys, thats what I was thinking, just angle it in, Ironbut, how do you like the 6 speed? I dont do much highway cruising, but when I do, I dont want the motor Screaming. This year the wife is going to riding with me. So anything I can do to make it more comfortable for her, I will.

IronButt62

I had warmed up my stock 80" over the years and it was running close to 80 HP.

The 6 speed great. Very smooth in 1-5 and in 6th, it would go fine on the flats. Felt like the engine was straining to keep it going. I had it geared really low (25/36 primary and 32/65 secondary) so going up any incline required a down shift to 5th. On the other hand, coming out of the mountains 90-100 came up very smoothly. I figure I was running about 2700 RPM at 80MPH. It has the 0.86 close ratio first which means no wheelies (not that I ever would). Getting moving on an upgrade with a passenger was a bit tricky but as soon as it was rolling things were fine.

Put about 7K on it with absolutely no issues last year (other than it being a bit hard to find neutral). Probably could have kept the old motor going for a couple of more years, but the missus gave her blessing on the 113" and I jumped on it.

From what I have heard, the 113" is a hot setup and I can't wait to get out on it in a couple of weeks. I am bumping up to a 70T rear pulley which should still let me cruise comfortably at 75-80 but give a bit better pull off the line.

If you already havethings apart, a 6 speed would be pretty simple and relatively inexpensive.

Deet

jclark311

You will like the 113, I have had one for 5 years on another Softail chopper that I built, the only problem I ever had was a Rocker Box leak. It was a beast on the highway, and I was using a 5 speed, with BDL Open primary, and 70 tooth rear sprocket. It vibrated at around 55-65 mph, but after that it went away, I dont know what the RPM was, I didnt have a tach. That 113 will spin the rear tire, mine spun my 200 tire all the time If I gunned it.