May 01, 2024, 07:52:37 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Are new bikes shipped with breaking-in oil? + New engine tips?

Started by Molly, March 01, 2009, 11:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly

Picked up my new Fat Bob today  :teeth:  :smilep:  :smiled:  

So, are they shipped with a breaking-in oil or stock H-D mineral? Also, what are your breaking-in tips?

Cheers.

kiwidave

You have sold the Road King?

Say it ain't so!

Sorry we missed you at Stu's house 12 days ago. We had a good time, you were missed, and I wanted to meet baby!

Thanks a bunch for the loan of the charger and meter....the stator on the shovel was shot as you prob know.

but I had a GREAT 750mile ride in anyways. As you can see...

(South Island of New Zealand two weeks ago, readers)

Great to meet you at last. Sorry, can't help with the question, I know about refreshed older motors, not about brand new ones from the shop, or if they have had pre-delivery running-in.

Dave

IndyHarley

my 08 came with dino oil - I was told but already knew that driving normal for about 1000 miles was the breaking in period - no getting on the throttle - after a 1000 miles it was considered broken in and had a quick check for anything loose and switched to synthetic oil. This is what my dealer advised but pretty much what I was going to do anyway. I believe the important part of breaking in is to just drive normal without cranking the throttle just to hear the engine or without reason to suddenly raise the rpms for a few hundred miles (probably at least 500 or so). That is the way I have broken new bikes in since I was a kid and that was a long long time ago.
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

02roadcling

This is what I would do:
since your bike has already had all the heat cycles it needs I would ride for 20 minutes to make sure it is good and warm and get on it really hard including close to redline shifts. Change the oil and enjoy normal riding.
Don't wait for 500-1000 miles to try and seat the rings.
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

Panzer

Molly,
Here's what I did with my new 07 Sporty.
The dealer told me not to go over 50 MPH for the first 50 miles, then not over 60 for the next 50.
After approx. 120 miles on the clock, I opened her up.
I was told by the old timers, that if you baby it on break-in, it will always want to be babied.
I twisted her up on occasion for the first 500, then normal riding thereafter.
Mine had dino oil in it also.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of other advise.
Good luck with the new ride.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Molly

Thanks for the pics Dave. Sorry I couldn't make the BBQ.

Also, thanks for the running-in tips. Looking forward to the weekend!

Sonny S.

Molly,

Sorry to get OT...but
Do you still have that video you made to Coma Girl ?

Molly

Hi.

Just checked and it's still there. Went to www.video.google.com and searched on 'Harley Ride Port Hills Christchurch' and it came up. The link (assuming it works) is: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6060685075909985914&ei=LPitSdCDKqe6qAP9xJyhDw&q=harley+ride+port+hills+christchurch&emb=1

Haven't watched that in a while. Thanks for the reminder.

Molly.

FSG

Quote from: Sonny S. on March 03, 2009, 03:19:07 PM
Molly,

Sorry to get OT...but
Do you still have that video you made to Coma Girl ?

I wish my memory was that good.   :emsad:

Sonny S.

Thanks Molly... great video !   Dec 06...wow that has been a while

FSG, no you don't, I can't even forget things I don't want to remeber  :crook:

SteveO

Guys,

As a mechanical engineer and having worked in the automotive and aircraft industry, modern engines do not use "break in" oils. HD uses just a basic dino motorcycle oil.

All non SE bikes come with a 10W40 dino oil.  The SE bikes come with the 20W50 SE synthetic oil. HD recommends the oil be changed after the first 1000 miles.  This is because of the lower viscosity used in the break in period and to remove any metal or sand that may come from the engine castings.  HD recommends a good 20W50 motorcycle oil, not automotive oil.

Modern engines are very precise with close tolerance's.  Normal break in procedure's assure everything "wears" in including the "ring" myth every seems to worry about.  50-100 miles of careful driving usually does it on a motorcycle.

I have always used Amsoil 20W50 synthetic motorcycle oil in all three holes.  Synthetic oils do not need a break in period.  They are compatible with dino oils.  It has superior lubrication qualities, It takes longer to break down and has a very stable viscosity index, and flows at very low temps.  There are just to many myths about synthetic oils to discuss on this forum.

My .02 worth

Steve