April 27, 2024, 02:02:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Question for the guy's with the andrews 21 cams in a TC 88

Started by Iron horse, January 14, 2014, 02:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron horse

I just put the 21's in my 05 EFI deuce. The job went well. The bike has a better throttle response and a beefier sound. I took it out for a 3 mile test run and no problems with backfiring or popping it runs just as smooth as always. So now my question is will a tune or flash be the same thing to the EFI   As jetting is to a carb.  I do have a SE air cleaner & SE pipes on the bike. Do I now need a little more gas to maximize the torque and hp ?

Y2KRKNG

I'm just a shade tree tuner, But if you've opened the intake and exh plus cams and haven't addressed fuel then your definitely running lean. If you re-jetted it after the air cleaner and exhaust, then your still good with the cam upgrade IMO.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

Y2KRKNG

Oops you're EFI.... Yes it's the same as carb in that you need more fuel. I bet your pipes are yellow under the heat shields
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

Karl H.

I run a TW21 in my carbed bike. I had to rejet the carb after installing an open exhaust. When I installed the TW21 later my engine didn't show any enleanment symptoms. So I kept the jetting as it was after exhaust change.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

Iron horse

I just got back from the dealer , I talk to the service manager about getting a sepst and a dyno. He said because I just did the Andrews 21 bolt-in cams AC & pipes that all I needed was a stage 1 flash.  I ask him about skipping the stage 1 and doing to stage 2 flash and he said the two was for the big bore kits .  What can you guys tell me about the stage 1 and 2 flashes, would I be better off just getting the se street turner and play with the AFR myself .

wholehog

Quote from: Iron horse on February 08, 2014, 10:30:53 AM
I just got back from the dealer , I talk to the service manager about getting a sepst and a dyno. He said because I just did the Andrews 21 bolt-in cams AC & pipes that all I needed was a stage 1 flash.  I ask him about skipping the stage 1 and doing to stage 2 flash and he said the two was for the big bore kits .  What can you guys tell me about the stage 1 and 2 flashes, would I be better off just getting the se street turner and play with the AFR myself .
you will waste your money on a flash if you make changes later.....for a few bucks more, buy the tuner and load one of the canned maps and then tweak it as needed.....

PoorUB

Quote from: wholehog on February 08, 2014, 10:40:17 AM
you will waste your money on a flash if you make changes later.....for a few bucks more, buy the tuner and load one of the canned maps and then tweak it as needed.....

:agree:
A stage one flash is a guesstimate as far as a tune is concerned. If you want it done properly you need to get a proper dyno tune done.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

wolf_59

Quote from: Iron horse on January 14, 2014, 02:48:40 PM
I just put the 21's in my 05 EFI deuce. The job went well. The bike has a better throttle response and a beefier sound. I took it out for a 3 mile test run and no problems with backfiring or popping it runs just as smooth as always. So now my question is will a tune or flash be the same thing to the EFI   As jetting is to a carb.  I do have a SE air cleaner & SE pipes on the bike. Do I now need a little more gas to maximize the torque and hp ?
With an 05 you can add O2 sensors and tune it yourself with TTS for sure or Powervision, the stage 1 download may or may not  be what the bike wants or needs
Instructions for adding O2 sensors can be found at the end of TTS tuning manual or here http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,11202.0.html

mkd

the stage one does not do a very good job of tuning the bike. it will get you by but it will not wake the bike up to it's full potential. i had a stage 2 flash when i had the upgrades installed before i took delivery of my 2005 eglide 95 stage 11. it never ran worth a darn till the next summer when i had them install a powercommander pc111. that's when the bike started running good. since i dithched the pc111 in 2009 and went with the supertuner after i did the hydro cam follower conversion. the only thing a stage 1 flash does is get you by. not a good solution in my book. i've been there , done that, and it's not the way to go! the other benefit of adding the right fuel is the bike will run cooler and perform better even when not going wide open throttle.

1Canuck

Quote from: wholehog on February 08, 2014, 10:40:17 AM
First do not buy the street tuner unless it is for the cost and you really do not want to do much more than a dealer flash. The SEPST is the HD pro tuner and is similar to the TTS & PV.
The SEPST tuner comes with maps you can use as a starting point, DIY, or get them to dyno. Point is the dealer flash stage 1 or 2 are included in the SEPST software. In your case you would use the one with a cam (SE of course) that comes closest to the Andrew 21.
The same applies for base maps for PV & TTS

stage 1 is usually AC & pipes, stage 2 add cam. a stage 1 for one model/year is not identical to another model/year, except perhaps when the dealer flashes the same stage 1 into all the bikes. :emoGroan:
Take my advice "do whatever you want"
2010 SG