May 09, 2024, 02:33:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2007 SERT software question - operating systems

Started by Dennis Murawski, January 15, 2014, 06:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Murawski

When I was last messing with the tuner, if I remember correctly, the software required a computer running Windows XP.  It wouldn't work with Windows Vista.  That machine is gone and now my laptop is running Windows 7.  Any help on how to "talk" to the ECM with the current computer platforms would be appreciated.  Thanks.
"Growing old ain't for sissies."

strokerjlk

You need a 32 bit system .
The drivers won't work on 64 bit.
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Templer

Cheaper to pick up a used say a used laptop.  You can use it for LOGGING and ERROR READS on your bike, Min 1/2 battery life and saddle bagees or even a back back.You can learn alot on HOW the bike RUNS UNDER REAL WORLG OPERATION!!
Templer(CA)

hrdtail78

Just finished a tune with that software on a win7, 64 bit machine.
Semper Fi

joe_lyons

There were issues with the drivers between sepst and sert that had caused some issues but it affected sepst.  I run the software on windows 7 64bit.  Gotta pick the right com port.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

rageglide

You can run 32bit applications in a 64bit Windows OS.  You can NOT run 64bit applications (or operating system) on 32bit Hardware..   Windows has compatibility mode to handle that.   

IF you have Windows7 Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise you can use XP Mode, which allows you to run a free copy of Windows XP SP3 in emulator mode.  Very slick.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

I use a Mac and have several virtualized Windows 7 and XP images.  They work great.

What Joe said is probably the biggest hurdle, configuring to an available COM port.  Win7 reserves more COM ports.  Not all COM ports can connect to the Serial ports.  If SERT can use USB, which my 2007 era SERT can NOT, you have to use a special cable, which also presents it's own COM port challenges...

strokerjlk

On the 5 computers that I have SERT. Version 4.77
3 xp pro's two laptops  one D/T runs fine .32 bit
One win 7 64 bit laptop software works fine . USB communicates . Won't flash a map
One win 8 64 bit laptop . Software works fine . USB won't communicate . So it won't flash a map. This was 2 weeks ago .
the win 8 was last one I tested.  so at this point I was tired of   :banghead:
So I gave up pretty quick and used the xp . That is the one I usually use and  the one I wanted to use anyway . Just my experience . All with belkin USB adapter.

rageglide

Quote from: strokerjlk on January 15, 2014, 10:12:30 AM
On the 5 computers that I have SERT. Version 4.77
3 xp pro's two laptops  one D/T runs fine .32 bit
One win 7 64 bit laptop software works fine . USB communicates . Won't flash a map
One win 8 64 bit laptop . Software works fine . USB won't communicate . So it won't flash a map. This was 2 weeks ago .
the win 8 was last one I tested.  so at this point I was tired of   :banghead:
So I gave up pretty quick and used the xp . That is the one I usually use and  the one I wanted to use anyway . Just my experience . All with belkin USB adapter.

I had problems with the "recommended" Belkin USB adapter.  I think it has two serial connections on it, the problem is getting the COM port mapped to the serial connector you're using.  Once I got it configured I folded back and tie wrapped the second one so I'd not use it.  Then it worked fine, but up until that, no-comm.

Far easier to use an older laptop with a Serial port and XP than dealing with the Belkin cable. 

strokerjlk

Single belkin . It's 6 years old and has lots of tunes / miles on it .
It's probably seen 20-30,000 miles in a saddle bag .
I had to load the software on the win 8 with xp emulator also .

rageglide

Personality quirks are why some people love windows machines so much.  :-)

hrdtail78

Quote from: hrdtail78 on January 15, 2014, 07:59:02 AM
Just finished a tune with that software on a win7, 64 bit machine.

To be more clear:  I use the extra RS232 port on my machine for SERT or HD04's.  I wasn't thinking USB.   :bf:
Semper Fi

rageglide

Quote from: hrdtail78 on January 15, 2014, 01:05:16 PM

To be more clear:  I use the extra RS232 port on my machine for SERT or HD04's.  I wasn't thinking USB.   :bf:

A dinosaur, hard to get an RS232 on a laptop now.  Some day you might want to experiment with a USB to RS232 cable on a newer system so you have a backup plan.  Older the system the more borrowed time in play...   As I mentioned earlier, after a year of having a working USB to RS232 option on a new laptop I finally retired my 9yr old laptop.. before it made that decision for me.

hrdtail78

I rarely tune with a laptop. RS232 cards are still available, and will be for awhile.

I have the USB adapters if needed.

DJ dyno's are dependent on RS232 ports.  Maybe the new Winpep has addressed this.  IDK
Semper Fi

Hogflash

For the old SERT AND the TTS HD04 either use the TTS USB to serial adapter, or any other adapter that uses the FTDI chipset.  Almost all the other adapters have junk (ie third-world) drivers and do not work correctly,  including Belkin and any Radio Shack adapter.

To get the latest drivers for TTS or FTDI-based USB adapters, go to http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm and download the WHQL Certified VCP driver for your OS version.

For DJ, some have good luck with add-in cards made by Perle ( http://www.perle.com/ ), altho I haven't tried them myself.  To my knowledge, no USB adapters work with the older DJ stack.

Rufus

rageglide

Good point hrdtail78.  I think a lot of backyard guys use laptops.  But a desktop is a much more robust strategy.

strokerjlk

Quote from: rageglide on January 15, 2014, 07:16:29 PM
Good point hrdtail78.  I think a lot of backyard guys use laptops.  But a desktop is a much more robust strategy.
it doesn't take much of a computer to run a DJ. they run on any operating system

hrdtail78

http://us.getac.com/index.html

I look at these at one time. Cheaper option over the Panasonic tuff books.  Tuners changed to USB and interest dwindled.

Semper Fi

hrdtail78

Quote from: Rufus on January 15, 2014, 07:07:29 PM
For the old SERT AND the TTS HD04 either use the TTS USB to serial adapter, or any other adapter that uses the FTDI chipset.  Almost all the other adapters have junk (ie third-world) drivers and do not work correctly,  including Belkin and any Radio Shack adapter.

To get the latest drivers for TTS or FTDI-based USB adapters, go to http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm and download the WHQL Certified VCP driver for your OS version.

For DJ, some have good luck with add-in cards made by Perle ( http://www.perle.com/ ), altho I haven't tried them myself.  To my knowledge, no USB adapters work with the older DJ stack.

Rufus

Thanks Rufus. When I decided to get into all this when I did. I really wasn't ready for the learning curve with computers.
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

Quote from: strokerjlk on January 15, 2014, 07:47:50 PM
it doesn't take much of a computer to run a DJ. they run on any operating system

The problems come in when you want to run Winpep and collect data at a pretty good frame clip. 5-7 doesn't seem to be a problem. Turn it up.  Problems start to show up. 
Semper Fi

rageglide

Quote from: hrdtail78 on January 15, 2014, 08:00:41 PM

Quote from: strokerjlk on January 15, 2014, 07:47:50 PM

The problems come in when you want to run Winpep and collect data at a pretty good frame clip. 5-7 doesn't seem to be a problem. Turn it up.  Problems start to show up.

A fairly basic Desktop is more robust in practically every way, and more powerful from a processing perspective than any basic laptop...  which is what I was trying to say with my desktop response.   Laptops are nice but they break when dropped, don't like coffee spilled on them, sprout legs and walk away, and cost at least twice the money than an equivalent desktop.