OT: Don't make my mistake, life is short. Sad story.

Started by Garry in AZ, March 02, 2009, 07:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garry in AZ

This weekend I lost an old and dear friend to a sudden and unexpected heart attack. He was 54, strong, happy, and we thought, healthy. I remember when he got a bit freaked about turning 50, we talked about all he'd seen and done, and how guys like us live more in 10 years than some folks do in a lifetime. He left us really young, but he did a good job of really living each of the years he had. He was a happy go lucky sort, always with a crooked grin on his face, and a bad joke at the ready. Never wanting to be weathly or powerful, it seemed all he ever really wanted was simply to be happy. This is the biggest lesson I learned from him, that it takes very little to really be happy.

We knew each other for over 30 years, rode together for the first time in the mid '80's. Thousands of miles we rode together, built bikes together, told many stories and lies around dozens of campfires, many beers and whiskies drank, shared millions of laughs and a few tears too... Over the years we drifted apart and so on, but basically stayed in touch at least a few times a year. When we did talk, it was like we were never apart, things just picked right up again... He was planning to come to AZ for a fall ride this year, and had just bought an '09 Road King, his first Harley. He was like a brother to me, and while we were always great buddies, I never really told him how much I respected him, and valued his friendship over all these years. Now he's gone, and I'm left with this regret. Maybe he had an idea how much he meant to me, but I wish I would have told him.

I guess I'm posting this to remind you to not make the same mistake. Don't wait. Tell the people you are close to how you feel. Do it today, right now.
Make sure they know they are respected, trusted, and loved. You never know when you may not have another chance.

Sorry for the buzzkill.

Garry

We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

EZGlider

Profound and universal.  We all die, noone knows when, where or from what.  We all spend too much time worrying about tomorrow and too little living today.  We all think too much about ourselves and too little about those who love us and who we love.

It is our nature and IF you find someone who is truly happy, he has overcome it.

JMHO,
EZ

tinkerman

Well spoken Garry,

My condolences to you, his family and friends.

We all get caught up in the Merry Go Round and many of us don't stop to think about the impt. stuff till it is too late.

Take it easy.....

Tinkerman
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

pj711

PJ - 2012 Road Glide Custom
D&D Boss 2>1, SE AI, SEST

Panzer

I feel for you Garry, nice to have had the memories.
I agree, telling someone how much you care for them.
It's hard to tell another male friend that you care for them, even love them.
We are macho and that's just not said.........until they are gone, then and only then do we tell others that we loved them.

Sorry for your loss, God bless, to his family too !!

Garry, just an after thought...........maybe you could get his bike & ride it for him, in his memory, just a thought, maybe on those special occassions.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Princess Butt

Garry, I know what it's like. There was a friend of a friend, never really kept directly in touch with him, but when I would see him every couple of years, it was just like picking right back up where we left off. He was a lot of fun, and a funny guy. Got to do some great muscle car work with him, and he was always getting into some really cool, but really odd vehicles.

Last summer, I hadn't heard from him in a while, and then I find out his estate is up for auction. Nobody bothered to tell me he was gone. I was somewhat pissed, and quite disappointed. I did, however, end up with his Panhead in the end.

My sincerest condolences with the loss of your friend. May you carry a bit of him in your heart whenever you go, and remember how he made people happy. Bring that lesson with you, and carry it forward. Brighten someone's day if you can.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

CraigArizona85248

Garry,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.  My condolences to you and his family and friends.

-Craig

FatJohn

Garry sorry for your loss.
I had a good friend that I rode with since we were 17. He passed 3 years ago at the age of 46. I do miss him and the rides
we would get on. But when I'm out on some of those twisties that he used to throttle into I swear I can hear that old shovel of his.
I too never told him what a friend he was to me. We never talked like that. But I feel we never needed to, we just knew.
I hope it was the same for both of you.

John

Baggerlady

So sorry for you loss. I too lost a friend to cancer two years ago. We rode our horses in many places most people can't get to. Life is way too short! My husband will always give his "brothers" a hug. I always give him a hug and kiss when he leaves for work. You just never know. :sad:

shelleybelle_43

Any act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Sunny California

HIPPO

Tell me about it.

I keep losing my long term riding partners to health problems.

Reddog74usa

Gary, First I want to tell you how sorry I am to hear of your loss. I've sadly been there an may be there again if it's not my turn. We are at that age when our Bro's start to pass on and that's just the fact. Dyin is part of living my friend and we all have to deal with it, at least till it's our turn. I have no doubt you will carry your Bro with you in your heart as I do mine and thats ok. Thanks for the reminder, I think I'll call my Bro's n set up a spring ride and bull sh$#t session. Keep the rubber side down, RD
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

June2017

Sorry to hear about your good friend Gary.  Though you feel you should have said something more to him, trust me,.......he knew how you felt about him.  True friends know that there is love for one another, and the mutual friendship you guy's had was understood.  Great friends do love each other, and that also go's for guy's.   :wink:!   

Dennis The Menace

Garry, you didnt need to tell him...he knew, just as you did.  The conversations picking up like you were best buds....well, that says it all.  Nothing more to it for him, or for you.  I have an Army brother like that.  I might have the same regret if he passed today, but I know what I mean to him and vice versa.  I got him started on this whole Harley thing, so I know he values me and our friendship.

So, feel no regrets.  Feel liucky and priviledged to have a great friend who loved to hear from you, whenever the two of you spoke.  That is the best, brother.

You did him with honor in your post.  Thanks for sharing about his life, however short it may have been.  I wish I had met him, sounds like a real cool dude.  My loss, your gain.

Dennis

Sc00ter

crazy joe

autoworker

Sorry for your loss. :sad:
REAL friends are few and far between.I am fortunate enough to have a few.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

Phu Cat

Sorry about yer buddy, Garry.  Sounded like a great guy.  But ya never know whan the Lord's gonna call ya home.  We're here one minute, gone the next.  That's the one thing that made me give up my old ways cuz this life's short.  The next one won't be.

PC 
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Ultrashovel

Yeah, I know your pain. I've lost a few good friends and acquaintances with whom I rode motorcycles as well as others in the past few years. You never know when you will be called home.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

starrider

March 02, 2009, 06:57:13 PM #20 Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:53:28 PM by Starrider
 My condolences... :sad:

Tsani

Gary, my condolences. What some have pointed out is indeed true tho, no words most likely needed to be spoken. But it doesn't hurt to do so.

Hippo - Tell me about it! I think it's cause us old heads are just that - OLD!
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

-SeabrookTrickBagger

A couple of years ago, my brother passed away.  It was pretty hard on me, too.  He was gone and part of me was gone too.  We were 18 months in age apart.  Anyway, one of his high school buddies was a pall bearer like me.  I was a bit teary eyed but not excessively so.  The high school buddy looked at me and said "Stay strong."  I guess he meant "keep a stiff upper lip."  Why do that?  I thought I was quite a bit stronger than he since he was the one who was either afraid to show any emotion or he had none.  If you are not going to show any emotion at a birth, death or marriage, then when will you --- when your fat is in the fire?  So, Garry, thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings and giving a bit of advice since I consider that a much stronger character trait than the proverbial stoic upper lip.
Seabrook

Ultrashovel

Well, it is good to show some emotion when a loved one passes on. Remember though, It is a natural occurrence. We can't choose the moment but the happening is inexorable. Once you realize that, you will do a better job on the remainder of your life.

I know lots of people who live and lived like there was no tomorrow. They burned their candle at both ends. Some of them shorened their lives doing it. That was their way. While I do feel sorrow losing a friend or relative, I know that it's a natural happening.

It's good to show some emotion but you can't stop living when something bad happens.

Happy Trails.

Fugawee

I am Sorry for Your Loss. I too, like many of Us here; have lost quite a few over the Years. You are right.....Say it now.....tomorrow may be too late.