May 02, 2024, 02:15:49 AM

News:

Soft lowers

Started by 410Sawyer, March 02, 2009, 09:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

410Sawyer

Any opinions or feedback on soft lowers? Desert Dawgs and the like. One brand better than another?

RK101

I have the Harley brand lowers. There ok and they pack small when not in use. I take them with me on road trips for rain and when the temps dip down a bit.

Certainly does nothing for the look of the bike but they work well and there priced right IMO.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

xxxflhrci

I also have the HD ones.  I love them in the cold.

Black Jack

RK101 described them well. Too expensive for a couple of strips of vinyl and some snaps... unless you know a guy who has to have everything new - and he puts his scoot over on the crash bars once in a while. They do have a serious effect on gas mileage tho - especially on the freeway in the prairies.
'95 Fatty '02 E-Glide
HTT 7/7/03

rihdrkc

I use the HD cordura lowers. They work great, but when it gets around 55 degrees, you have to take them off. The Desert Dawgs can be run all the time because they do not block airflow to the motor, whereas the HD ones do.

road-dawgs1

Before I got the 08 Ultra, I had an 04 EGC and my wife went to Joann Fabrics and bought some black marine vinyl that looked like leather.  She then bought some stainless steel marine snaps and some nylon web strap and a black plastic buckle.  She made them just like the HD ones with the strap and buckle and they had three snaps down the inside of the engine guard.  Total cost was less than $25 and they looked better and functioned just as good as the higher end ones.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

V24me

TIP:
If you take off with them on and the temperature heats up during the day, you don't have to take them off.  You can unclip the straps, wrap them around the outer part of the crash bars and wrap the strap around to keep them in place.  Gives you engine cooling without having to take them all the way off.
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

seattledyna

here's a guy that makes soft loweres and sells them on his ebay store, they actually look pretty good and sturdy,

http://stores.ebay.ca/MOTORCYCLE-SOFT-LOWERS

Princess Butt

I use the HD ones on my daily rider Road King. They're great, been using them for years.

I don't mind they block airflow at 25 degrees. I'll take off the right side one at 55 to 60 degrees, when I ride home in the afternoons.

I'm going to try V24me's trick of wrapping the straps next time.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

ironhorse432

ironhorse432

http://www.airlite.ca/sorry the first was for contact.this is the website

Justpassingas

another thumbs up for the HD ones :up:
For Duty and Humanity

RK101

I have the HD Cadura ones also. They get heavy if you get caught in a freak wet snow storm. Makes the average RK handle like a barge.  :teeth:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

road-dawgs1

'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue