Any good tricks for istalling the primary inner bearing race. (also in general)

Started by gryphon, March 02, 2009, 11:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gryphon

I hate to buy a special tool just for installing that stupid inner bearing race. Has anyone got any good tricks for installing that puppy short of buying the tool. I would go with the Baker High Torque Bearing but I've never had any problems with the stock race moving or with seal leaks and so would like to stick to the stock arrrangement.

dave_9113

Gryphon,

This is a good question.  I've been wanting to know for years, but never asked. For the price of the Jim's tool, you can get the Baker Hi-torque bearing and never have to worry about that problem again.

How did you get it off...or are you trying to put one on a new tranny?  I'm sure someone has a home-made tool that does this job.

I hate expensive one task tools.  They suck! 

dave

Buddy WMC

Gryphon,

I agree with Dave. If the race is off, it is better to use the Baker Hi-Torque kit (about $40.00). Mine was walking on the mainshaft and needed to be removed anyways. The only way to do it without taking a chance of hurting the mainshaft is to use the Jim's or similar tool. I took my trans to a local Indy I know that has the tool, he popped it out in about two minutes and charged me nothing. It's interesting to note that Baker uses that race in a new DD6. I had them delete that race when they built my transmission as I have the Hi-Torque kits in both of my inner primaries.

gryphon

How are those baker bearings working out for you. Any leaks or anything.

Buddy WMC

Gryphon,

Totally leak free. After installation of the bearing and seal into the inner primary the whole assembly slipped right over the mainshaft. The Baker bearing is a sealed type and ID is honed to the OD of the mainshaft. There is a provision to allow some oil to get to the bearing. To be fair my installation was done when I swapped over to the DD6 with all new parts. I would suggest checking the bearing fit prior to installation over a used mainshaft. That way any burrs or rough spots could be removed before the bearing kit is installed into the inner.

IMO a good idea and upgrade for a powertrain that has been modified for more power. I really had no choice as I explained as the bearing race was walking on my stock trans mainshaft. The Baker kit was less expensive that buying the race and new stock type bearing from HD. I've installed a second kit into my spare inner. so it's ready to go if needed. An Indy that has the tool can remove that race in about two minutes. He'll either need the bike with the primaries and pulley stripped off or the removed trans to do the job.

Off to Daytona later this morning and hope you get her fixed up quickly!

Porkchop

IMHO, installing the race is easy.  Place the tranny in the freezer and the race in the oven at 350 or 400 degrees.  If the tranny is in the frame then you may be able to push your scoot outside in the cold, if you live north of the mason dixon line...  Warm up the race in the oven and slip it over the cold mainshaft and bamm.... it's on there.... don't put it on to far or you'll be screwed, it may be wise to place a spacer on the mainshaft to help in this. You won't have time to adjust,  The race will lockup quick when the heat transfers to the mainshaft.  I hope this makes sense as it's been a Jack Daniels night,  Good luck.  Porkchop
Gun Powder & Women, live by one, die by the other and love the smell of both!