April 30, 2024, 07:14:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

'82 FXR old aftermarket triple trees; Lower dust shield question

Started by 1982fxr, February 03, 2014, 12:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1982fxr

Hi guys, my 82 FXR has some old 35mm aftermarket wideglide kit on it.  When I took it apart, there was no factory lower dust shield, just this thick one I'm pointing to in the pic w/the red spray nozzle.  My first time with a front end apart.

Is it supposed to have a factory lower shield underneath that thick one?  Like the 2nd pic?

looks like I gotta learn how to post pics here, here's a link to the thread I made at the shovel forum

http://shovelhead.us/forum/showthread.php?t=151002

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

easyricer

That dust cover should be just fine. Clean, repack your bearings and it's ready to go back together.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

1982fxr

the other pic I tried to post...with the chrome one inside the factory one

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

saddle tramp

Look at how thick that one is, I'd think it was more of a spacer than a dust cover. If the factory dust cover fits inside of it you may need to run both...

easyricer

Those two covers fit inside each other because that is a set, one for the top (larger one) and one for the bottom (smaller one) They are not seals, although you can buy rubberized seals for them if you just want to. They are only dust shields. Unless you live in a constant dust storm, they will be just fine.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!