May 08, 2024, 09:17:22 PM

News:

extra bolt

Started by 14Frisco, February 05, 2014, 09:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14Frisco

The other day when finishing washing my bike I found a 3/8-16 x 1 1/4" button head bolt under my bike...
This was on a public street so it is not unlikely it came from something else and was there before, but does anyone recognize this bolt from a 1994 FLHR?

GregOn2Wheels

Floorboard mount to frame?

Frank the Real Biker

It might be a bolt that you dropped a long time ago (one of those that doesn't hit the ground and disappears into thin air) and just now fell off. I pulled the side cover off of the Electra Glide one day and noticed one of the "rubber thingies" that holds it on was missing. Bought a new one and away I went. Over a year later I was doing some work on the bike and out of nowhere the missing rubber thingy fell to the floor. It had apparently been hiding in a remote spot on the bike for about 10,000 miles. The bolt you found may have been dislodged while washing it. Just a thought.

Anybody need a used rubber thingy for an Electra Glide?

GregOn2Wheels

Wait - I thought I was only one that happens to. I swear that my 04 FXDWG had the factory installed BLACK HOLE option, because I lost my grip on COUNTLESS bolts over the years that never made it to the shop floor. Never found even one of them.

bigpete1

looks like bolt that holds exhaust bracket to bottom of cam cover ,thanks pete

14Frisco

Floorboard mount to frame?
Nope, those are socket heads and I've got them all.

looks like bolt that holds exhaust bracket to bottom of cam cover ,thanks pete
You mean the bracket at the transmission?  No, those are also socket heads and I have them all.

I also have a Sportster that is washed in the same spot.  I have some vague memory that the top motor mount on one of the bikes had button head screws, but looking now they are not button heads.  I think I have seen a button head screw like this on one of my bikes...
Of course it can be from another, non-motorcycle, source as well though.

bigpete1

I was thinking the mount under cam cover into engine case like the fxrs and dynas have your bike probly does not have that bracket.

14Frisco

Quote from: 14Frisco on February 06, 2014, 05:44:26 PM
I also have a Sportster that is washed in the same spot.  I have some vague memory that the top motor mount on one of the bikes had button head screws, but looking now they are not button heads.  I think I have seen a button head screw like this on one of my bikes...

The button head screw I had memory of is the one attaching the enrichener cable bracket to the top motor mount on the Sporty.  That is a 3/8-16 x 5/8 button head.... and still on the Sporty.  The one I found is slightly longer, 1 1/4".
Maybe it fell off the UPS truck.

Naear

You found it! oil bag mounting bolt ???
I lost one off my bike but I don't think I've been riding in your neighborhood...

1foxx

Check your transmission mount bolts. There are four, button heads are installed from underneath the bike above the shocks with a nylon lock nut on the top of the tranny mounting tabs. Will a 5mm key fit it?

stroker800

Not a factory bolt for 94 flhr,,,just had mine all ripped to hell...I used those bolts for top motor mount....
Dave