May 02, 2024, 04:30:58 AM

News:

Sturgis Campgrounds

Started by Ely, March 02, 2009, 10:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ely

Ok last trip to SD stayed at Glencoe campgrounds 2007 was ok and the bands that where to show up did.  Now thinkin about returnining in 09 and see the camp ground is under NEW management and no bands are listed yet.  Also read some really crappy reviews about 2008 and how the bands that were booked did'nt show do to $$$$ not being paid.  Any first hand expereriances with last year ?  don't want to spend big dollars to sleep in a cow pasture if the bands don't show up.  Any campgrounds you would stay at ?

shelleybelle_43

http://www.tilfordgulch.com/map.htm 
Tilford Gulch was a nice quiet campground. The only sounds you'd hear at night were the bikes on the freeway/highway in front of the campground.
Any act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Sunny California

guido4198

Take a look at Hog Heaven...
It was good when I was there a couple years back. NOT a 24/7 party though. 

road-dawgs1

'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Dresser

3-Forks out by Keystone. It's a nice place. No entertainment. RV & tent sites reasonably priced for Sturgis. It is also a pretty central location for visiting all of the sites

tombstoned5

I've stayed at Lamphere Ranch a couple times.....right beside Glencoe. It's a nice spot with good amenities and close to the Full Throttle Saloon :wink:
Tom - Saskatchewan, Canada

ridgerider

ely    i have camped at glencoe for the last 14 years in a row...have never had any complaints, though the price did raise when concerts 1st started there...Now price is down to 140 for camping if you stay the whole 2 weeks thats only $10 a day... great shade,,good clean showers and toliets and some great resonable priced food...not to mention walking distance to drag strip,concerts or full throttle saloon...depends what your looking for...last year one concert was cancelled but that was due to weather not ticket sales...and concerts are now a option not forced on ya. there enough room you can be in the party areas or be out alone...great place

stroker800

I'm a fan of the "chip",,,live music, lotsa food if needed, service area for bikes and  wet Tshirts..Although its a wide open field,,dirt will blow over everything,hard to find shade,, when the winds hit have everything tied down.
Dave

Mr V

Have never stayed anywhere but Hog Heaven in Sturgis.  Never had a desire to change though.  They have the hottest, cleanest showers of any campground I've ever been to.  They have a couple of snack shacks that serve great egg sandwiches in the morning and burgers the rest of the day and the bands have always been enjoyable (no big names, just good old local rock & roll).  They bar is fun, they stay open plenty late, and is somewhat low key.  There are even a few trees for shade.

The action is at Chips if that is what you are looking for.  I prefer this well run, relaxed camp ground. 

2007 FLHTCI
1981 FLT

dave_9113

I stayed at Hog Heaven for 3 nights in 2008.  It was not packed at all due to the economy, I suppose.  I second the hot shower and breakfast.  It's not a party place like Glencoe or Chip.  the noise dies down around 10-11pm, except for the occational bikes coming back.  We also stayed at the Chip to catch the Kid Rock concert.  Hated it.  RV galore.   

I think this year will be down attendance (relatively speaking), so my recommendation is to jump camp like we did to enjoy different atmosphere.  Bottomline, I recommend Hog Heaven on the last night before you make the long ride home next day. 

dave 

les

I've always stayed at Centannial Campgrounds in Spearfish.

les

...that's Centennial Campgrounds  (spelling)

Jeffd

Toby Kieth is at the Chip on the 3rd.  Stayed at Shadey valley last year was clean and quiet, a little off the beaten path about 15 miles or so from Sturgis. 

apendejo

Creekside, right across from the back gate of Glencoe and a the dragstrip on 79. It was like 90 bucks for the week. No loud hellraising after 9 pm.
AP

Big Steve 63

Another "quiet" campground is Chris' Campground in Spearfish.  I won't stay anywhere else.  Clean, quiet, good breakfast and now have beer garden/steak pit that closes at 11pm. 

Snuff™

Stayed at Chris's Campground in Spearfish for 6-7 years.  A group of us would put up a big circus tent on the back forty. Good Times!

-Snuff :beer: :beer: :beer:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

deltafarmer

Elk Creek,  nice enough for a Sunday School picnic.