May 06, 2024, 06:27:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S lifters

Started by baldoldfxr, March 03, 2009, 12:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldoldfxr

Whats the verdict on the S&S lifters ,Good, Bad , ugly,? I'm putting some in my 86 fxr, & Is anybody using the limiter kit in them ? seems possible I wont need them if they are as good as S&S claim, but I run 4 valve heads which create a lot of valve spring pressure alough my cam is not too wild,

wfolarry

I run them w/limiters & never had a problem. Some guys don't like/need the limiters but I do. They're good lifters.

stroker800

I run them on my evo,,modified.  I do seem to work wll.. Although when speakin with a S&S tech he mentioned that I only need them on the intake or exhaust side,,,(can't remember),,When in doutb I call S&S tech ..good guys to walk you through stuff and have taken the time to explain their thoughts.
Dave

Hillside Motorcycle

Very good lifters, as we agree.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

baldoldfxr

Hillside what are your thoughts on fitting the limiter kit to them ?, thanks

96roadking

March 03, 2009, 07:53:56 PM #5 Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:23:27 PM by 96roadking
What is this limiter kit used for with the S&S lifters, never heard of it. Do you need the kit on a stock 1996 EVO with a mild cam? S&S part number for the lifter is #33-5342-4 Big Twin 84-UP.

fuzznut5197

Quote from: stroker800 on March 03, 2009, 07:20:30 AM
  I run them on my evo,,modified.  I do seem to work wll.. Although when speakin with a S&S tech he mentioned that I only need them on the intake or exhaust side,,,(can't remember),,When in doutb I call S&S tech ..good guys to walk you through stuff and have taken the time to explain their thoughts.
Dave

Probably the intakes, to keep the lifter from collapsing too much should an intake valve be open after you shut your engine off.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: baldoldfxr on March 03, 2009, 10:30:26 AM
Hillside what are your thoughts on fitting the limiter kit to them ?, thanks

We run 'em without, and do not experience problems with adjustments.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

baldoldfxr

Thanks everyone,looks like I made a good choice.

96roadking

Quote from: 96roadking on March 03, 2009, 07:53:56 PM
What is this limiter kit used for with the S&S lifters, never heard of it. Do you need the kit on a stock 1996 EVO with a mild cam? S&S part number for the lifter is #33-5342-4 Big Twin 84-UP.
I contacted S&S and they just got back to me and said it is not necessary to use this kit with my set up. It is intended for high performance use were a higher spring pressure rate would be needed. Was wondering why I had never heard about this kit before this thread, now I know.