May 01, 2024, 10:42:30 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Anyone use safety clothing ?

Started by rkcbob, March 03, 2009, 08:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkcbob

As I got older, I think more about being dressed as safely as possible when I ride. In the past, I would always have on at least ---- blue jeans, boots, long sleeve heavy denim shirt, and leather gloves. My wife and I currently wear over pants made of kevlar and body armour and a jacket also with body armour, we both get them at motoport.

But ---- in the summer they do get a bit hot, they are not leather which makes it cooler and both have vents.

Does anyone wear protective clothing for hot weather ? ideally I want clothing for road rash, and if I can have body armour for the hips, knees, elbows, etc....I wold like upper body and lower protection.

Thanks,
Bob

codyshop

I've got mixed feelings about armored clothes.  They are designed for slides as one would encounter on the track but most street crashes...at least the dozens I've seen as an EMT...hit an immovable object like a phone pole, tree, guardrail, wall, and the dreaded oncomming car turning left and there is little if anything armored clotes will do in that situation.  I've responded to bike wrecks on the Chief Joseph Highway between Cody and Red Lodge for years and can't think of one that was road rash.  Correction:  there were a few road rashes but they were already dead from hitting something first.  Ray

panhead_dan

Yup. I do.
I use a full face helmet, armored jacket, leather gloves, heavy boots and leather pants at all times. This gear can be had with venting (my helmet has 17 vents), removable liners (pants and jacket) and is waterproof as a bonus!
I have several pairs of gloves for several seasons.
FXRG gloves and pants for 3 season use.

Jeffd

I have responded to my fair share of crashes and I have seen a lot of pain full road rash.  Check out the Roadcrafter from Aerostich.  I have buddies that wear them year round.

Princess Butt

I've worn stretch Kevlar, ballistic cordura nylon, and leather, and the best thing I found for hot weather was vented leather (perforated), or the mesh jackets. Luckily, the only thing I've crash tested personally was leather, and that was 11 years ago.

I wear a helmet all the time, since we're required to in Virginia. While commuting, I'll wear a full face because of weather protection.

Protective gear is a matter of choice. Fortunately, there's a lot more choices today than there was just a few years ago.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Pumba11

I wear and really like my Olympia Motorsports Airglide mesh jacket.   http://www.olympiamotosports.com/airglide/airglide.htm

In black of course.  It also has removable body armor.

The mesh outer jacket is great in the heat, and the waterproof inner liner kept me dry in warm last fall when it was 35 degrees and rainy in the Black Hills.

Check it out.

PC_Hater

Boots gloves and helmet always.
Protective jacket and trousers often but their main purpose is to keep me warm and dry.
I used to wear full kit even in hot weather. I don't do that anymore. In 1986 we were in Italy in a heat wave on my Bonneville. We stopped for lunch and as we struggled back into our sweat-sodden leather jackets one Italian said something to the Italian sat next to him. No idea what it was. I did understand the reply though. One word. "Inglese". With a response of "Ah" and a sage nod of the head from the questioner!
It was so hot we went to Austria.

Now, Rukka do some hideously expensive but very very good kit that works in both hot and cold weather.
One of the options I intend to try this summer is a spin-off from the Space Program - thank you American taxpayer!
It is long-johns and a long-sleeve T-shirt made of the same material that space-suit inners are made of. In hot weather it sucks up heat, the particles of whatever change state and cool you down. In cold weather the particles change state again and release heat. They are not funny money either. It is the Rukka outer kit that is expensive. Try the Rukka website first.

1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

northbrun

Does this qualify?

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

marc

Boots, gloves and a full face helmet...

Big Dan

Anyone use safety clothing ?

Depends.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

Jeffd

RK101

I did buy a armoured Cadura jacket a couple of years back that I wear allot when night riding. Some of the piping on it reflects light.  In the summer I don't wear black T shirts, there to hot and to hard for cagers to see. I tend to stay with colors that are more readily seen. I prefer Orange over most other colors because I believe people see it better in all lighting conditions JMO. I always wear leather gloves,one of my three Dot helmets,MSA safety glasses,and boots.

Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

still_on2_wheels

Boots gloves and full face helmet always.

Regardless of the Phoenix summertime temps. Granted the jacket then is a perf'd Vanson.

Jeff
Shiney side up please.