April 28, 2024, 11:23:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

wet sumped?

Started by willymax4, March 03, 2009, 08:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willymax4

i pulled the dip stick on my 02 XL1200C the other day and there's not enough oil in the tank to show on the stick.
i know the level read full when i put it to bed for the winter as i changed all the fluids.
there's no oil on the floor beneath it so i've got to assume it wet sumped over the winter.
here's my guestion. i see what looks like a drain plug on the bottom of the engine and can i simply pull that plug and drain the crank case. i'm not talking about the primary drain, i'm seeing an allen head plug directly beneath the crank shaft.
any help would be appreciated.
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

mayor

mine sumps over the winter too.  Once you start it up the oil should fill back up in the tank.  I wouldn't pull that plug unless the engine was warm....
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Panzer

Mayor is correct.
Mine does the same thing too.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

willymax4

so you're sayin just start it up and the the oil pump will scavenge the oil in the crankcase?
i've been under the assumption that the head breathers will puke oil when the case is wet.
it's never sumped before while sitting all winter, but this is the first winter it's lived in a heated garage. i can see where the oil would stay thin and seep past the checkball.
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

Lawless

All I can say here is that my 2000 does this too. I called dealership and was told to start it and the oil would pump back to the tank. Don't crack the throttle til the oil is back in the tank.(could blow out gaskets)

andyxlh

Hmm, my '89 with 100000+ miles on it doesn't do that - although I guess I don't leave it unstarted for months a at a time as I live in Sydney. I would imagine that you would get a fair bit out of the head breathers when you start it, and the oil pressure in the bottom end would be huge - remeber it is usually only a 'splash feed'. I think there is supposed to be a one way valve system in the oil pump to prevent this, I wonder if it is faulty on these bikes? I guess as soon as you crank it over the oil will be pumped out, but as suggested i would eep the revs low and let it idle for a while while it empties.
cheers
Andy
Sydney
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

blk05xl

After my bike sat in a heated basement for some months I also noticed the oil level way down when I took it out for my 1st ride last year. Couldn't figure it out ?  Was perfect when I put her to sleep  :wtf:? So I filled it back up to the appropriate level. Then after about a 2 minute ride I checked the level again. Much foam in the now over filled oil tank. So out came the turkey baster! :gob: to remove the maybe half quart or more of overfill. So I would recommend not to add or remove anything but to warm motor some and recheck it soon after.

blk05xl

chief-z

its quite common on sportys. my 97 has been in a heated garage since new and has sumped for about 7 years off and on. there is a check ball at the oil filter that can hang and will allow oil to seep by it. as others said let it idle a few minutes and all is well till next time! regards-Z
YORK COUNTY, PA. NEAR THE MD BOARDER

Panzer

Mine is an 07 and does the same thing.
Since its been sitting for four months, I'm going to remove the plugs and spray some oil in both cylinders.
Reinsert the plugs without the plug wires connected.
I'll crank it over about three revolutions, then maybe repeat the oil bit.
That should coat the jug walls & the valve stems, then I'll start her up, outside.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

jchcobra

Just checked mine and same thing. Tank about half quart low. Bike sits all winter in my work shop, no heat, but nice and dry. Last winter it didn't do this. Strange, maybe ball just doesn't seat perfect?
jchcobra

Coasty

I solved that problem many years ago by putting clamps on the hoses from the oil bag. 

Coasty
Coasty