May 05, 2024, 02:15:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

oil pump question

Started by vern, March 03, 2009, 11:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vern

i guess i should have worded my question properly, so here goes. can i use a top feed pump (1987) in a dyna, bottom feed (1994), and if not, will the newer pump bolt onto and work properly on a 87 motor, i've looked at the gaskets in my parts book and they look the same. thanks vern

gryphon

Vern,
   The gaskets look identical. The difference is that the bolt pattern is ever so slightly different.You cannot interchange the '91 and earlier and '92 and later pumps.

vern

is there a aftermarket cover plate with a lower feed

Buddy WMC

I might be off base, but check with S&S. I think there is a way to fit the newer style pump to an older engine with a drill and jig kit that they sell.

gryphon

S&S makes a drill/jig combination but it's for adapting THEIR  '91 and earlier pump to the later Shovelheads. However, S&S does make a universal pump for the '91 and earlier that has top, middle and bottom feed options on the same cover.

ricochet

Right, the drill jig if for passages and mods to them.  The only mounting bolt difference from late to early is the location of the bottom right hand bolt.  I forgot which way and exactly how much but it is relocated a few thousandths of an inch.  Print out the oil pump installation sheets from the S & S site and figure how your cases are configured at the gasket area.  From there you can select the right bodies and covers to suite your needs or at least better understand what you're working with.  I had to spend a good deal of time figuring out what pump to use on STD cases for a Pan since they were upgraded in that area and different from stock.  Many variants and configurations.

ricochet

vern

thanks for all the replys but one last question before i beat my head against the wall, will a top feed pump work in a 94 dyna

wfolarry

An S&S pump has provisions for top feed or bottom feed. Plug the holes you don't use.

bigtone

I used to use Copper coat when I worked on shovels. All I use on Evos is hylomar, on the rocker boxes, primary, etc. I swear by it.