May 01, 2024, 11:22:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

HD AGM battery have a "born on" date?

Started by Maj, March 03, 2009, 12:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maj

I'm planning on buying a battery from the dealer and since it fits only older Dyna and Softail models I don't want one thats been sitting on a shelf for 6 months. Is there a date on the battery and if so, is it in some kind of cryptic code?

truck

Look on the back of the battery for a round black label about the size of a nickel.
There is a white letter and number on it.
The letter is the month and the number is the year that it left the factory.
A=January
B=February and so on....there is no letter I.
The number is the year.
K8=October 2008
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Maj

Excellent info Trück! What would be a reasonable age to expect? Less than 2 months old? I'm thinkin' more than 4 months old and I'll shop elsewhere...

truck

Here is the tech info from the people who make the battery.
I think after 6 months the battery should be volt checked, this is from memory when I worked there.
You can look in here and find what you need to know.

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0139.pdf

GaryD

Doesn't matter how long the battery has been sitting on the shelf as long as its dry and never had acid in it. I've purchased a battery 6 years old, filled it with acid and it lasted me for years.
New batteries that already have acid in them(which most probably do now) is a different story.
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

Hossamania

AGM batteries are sealed from the factory and don't get filled at the dealer.Usually a 6 month old battery should be just fine as long as it hasn't had a load put on it before installing. After using them I wouldn't go back to a standard battery that needs to have the acid level checked and has a vent tube that leaks or falls off and causes issues.
A Battery Tender is a great investment and will really prolong battery life. Use it before you install a new battery and then plug it in often. I find that my bike spins over a little faster when I use it, even when it's only been a day since my last ride.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

truck

Quote from: Hossamania on March 05, 2009, 11:51:44 AM
AGM batteries are sealed from the factory and don't get filled at the dealer.Usually a 6 month old battery should be just fine as long as it hasn't had a load put on it before installing. After using them I wouldn't go back to a standard battery that needs to have the acid level checked and has a vent tube that leaks or falls off and causes issues.
A Battery Tender is a great investment and will really prolong battery life. Use it before you install a new battery and then plug it in often. I find that my bike spins over a little faster when I use it, even when it's only been a day since my last ride.

All batteries have a load put on them before they leave the factory. It is called the High Rater test. Don't know if it means much, just a fact.

The Beave

By chance does any one know what year AGM batteries were used as O E?  Thanks

truck

I believe it was 2000. Not positive though.

The Beave

Thanks truck.  I have a 04 RK and have never had the seat off, was thinking it was time to check battery water. I guess not if I have AGM.  Thanks

panhead_dan

I would take the seat off anyway and clean the terminals.
jmo

frito1

Quote from: The Beave on March 05, 2009, 12:46:49 PM
By chance does any one know what year AGM batteries were used as O E?  Thanks

My 97 Buell uses a Sporty battery and it is AGM.  I think my '97 FLSTF also had a AGM.  It was 5.5 years old when I sold it and it was still on the original battery (no tender).

s-r-t
"frito"  '11 FLHTP
www.eddiekieger.com

HroadhogD1

Traded of my 02 Roadking last year, was going to ride it to Sturgis, but ended up trading it off.  I bought a new battery "just in case".  I didnt want to be sitting on the side of the road and make my friends go get me a battery.  Still worked great.  I never even had a charger of any kind on it in the winter, but I did look at it once when I changed seats.  Those are good batteries!