May 09, 2024, 11:33:15 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

quick brain refresher question on diagnosis

Started by who444444, February 16, 2014, 09:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

who444444

Am I right thinking that a mild increase in idle rpm and a  occasional slight backfire during heavy deceleration might indicate a small  intake vacuum leak?
Having a slight senior moment and I'm still in my 50's  :bf:
:scratch:
dave

76shuvlinoff

February 17, 2014, 02:55:40 AM #1 Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:58:43 AM by 76shuvlinoff
It's about difficult to spray WD 40 or starting fluid or carb cleaner or just hold an unlit propane torch on the intake seals without getting some into the back of the carb air cleaner cover.

..... but that's what I would try first.  :teeth:

Remove the air filter cover leave the backing plate on. I believe this stops the cover from funneling test sprays and such into the carb. With the bike idling give it a snort.

Are you running old style ignition? Might be time to pop the points plate and check the pivots and springs on the flyweights.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Tobias

I agree with Mark
But my money is on the flyweights

easyricer

Just ride the damned thing!

who444444

Aha.  :doh: running points, and weights and springs have been in there for who knows how long. I was thinking about putting in new advance one of these days so.....
Thanks, you guys, for direction on which way to go. Will check for vacuum leak first as that is easier to do.
dave

76shuvlinoff

If it's been that long check the weights too.  Those are easier to change than the manifold seals.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  :wink:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Old Crow

Worst breakdown I ever had on the road on a Harley.  Broke the center bolt for the advance unit on my old Ironhead about 1800 miles from home. 
Ended  up I was 6 blocks from an Indy shop that had a couple of bolts and a set of weights.  I was able to get the stub of the screw out of the cam using the roach clip, er hemostats out of my wallet.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

76shuvlinoff

Had my pretty chrome coil cover come loose and ground out the ignition. It took a while to find that. Cover went sailing.  :angry:
 - Ernest Hemingway

ARBY

February 19, 2014, 03:05:00 PM #8 Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 03:11:59 PM by ARBY
Quote from: who444444 on February 16, 2014, 09:53:07 PM
Am I right thinking that a mild increase in idle rpm and a  occasional slight backfire during heavy deceleration might indicate a small  intake vacuum leak?
Having a slight senior moment and I'm still in my 50's  :bf:
:scratch:
dave

Not necessarily. Take a look.

http://www.hmfracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3927

I'd also check for a possible exhaust leak.
"Bring the boys back home."
http://chopperville1.tripod.com

HotRodShovel

Good article, Arby.  I don't think I've ever NOT had some popping on a heavy deceleration.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John