May 05, 2024, 03:01:06 PM

News:

Metal particles in oil

Started by flhs90, March 03, 2009, 01:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhs90

Evo riders:

A  good freind of mine who repairs lawn mowers had came by to work on our Sears Riding mower.

I was working on my voltage regulator problem.
He like the bike and told me of  a softail trike that had few miles on it something like 60 miles. He told me the bike was10-15 years old.
He'll check with the owner whether or not he wants to sell it. His wife won it in a raffle.

Anyhow when I should him the oil on my Harley FLHS's dipstick he pointed out the shiny particles in my Torco MPZ oil with about 3000 miles on this change.
He thought that was  not a good sign and said he thinks it is bearing wear, rod or crank bearings.
I explained that the bike had been running great and that I had only had it for 5000 miles. It now has 64K.
No major work has been done.

I then said what can I "do." We decided to change the oil. Then run the bike again for 500-1000 miles and keep changing it to see if we could flush those metal particles out. Now I have learned that when "we" change oil on our bikes to have the oil warmed up to operating temp. to get any metal particles in solution (the oil) and then drain the oil tank. But evidently there is no crankcase bottom drain other than perhaps the oil filter mount.

He kept saying "That doesn't look good and I don't like being the one to point it out to you." I thanked him and told him, "What else can I do. Except maybe tear it down and replace the bearings."

Anyway, I don't see the need to overhaul an otherwise great running Evo. Besides the weather here is spring like and it's time to ride.

Can anybody give me a "gut level" analysis on what we were noticing floating around it the oil. He kept saying bits and pieces of the bearings indicating wear that shouldn't be in the oil.

Should I be concerned or just ride it like I stole it?

Dave :wtf:
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

FSG

Give him a beer, take him out the front yard, point and say "now about this ride on mower ....... "

ceduby

Go on line and order a Blackstone oil analysis kit and have it ready for your next oil change. It won't cost you anything untill you send in oil sample, then it's 25 bucks.  Then you'll know for sure.
Beat it to fit, paint it to match

Norton Commando

I agree with the oil analysis kit suggested by ceduby.
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

fulldress79

IMHO you are always gonna see some tiny particles in the oil if you look hard enough.It's prob not rod or main bearings as they are roller bearings,not plain type like cars have. Could be from piston scuffing or whatever. Moving parts wear and wear out eventually. If its running well with no strange noises or smoke,just enjoy it.

flhs90

March 03, 2009, 03:44:47 PM #5 Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:48:11 PM by flhs90
Full Dress:

I think that I'll just ride it and enjoy it! It's a 19 year old Harley. Runs great.
I am going back to my stator problem. That's way more pressing.
Bike doesn't spew blue smoke. No odd noises. Good until 100k then a top end and a mild cam with some overlap to "wake it up." :smiled:

Ride safe and thanks for the reassuring feedback. Relax, have a homebrew. No worries, she be right.

FLHS 90
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

paulkay

March 03, 2009, 08:36:01 PM #6 Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:53:49 PM by paulkay
Get the metal out of the oil, if you can see it that easy. Magnets work --  www.filtermag.com  or www.klearforce.com  -- if you run one or the other be ready for shock when you take a filter apart.

The metal in the oil goes thru the motor and bearings, motor lasts longer with no metal in oil, and is cheaper to fix with no metal in oil.

Buddy WMC

Just a thought,
See if one of the Independent shops in your area has the oil filter adaptor to do a four quart change. The adaptor allows the oil pump circulate new oil throught the engine and all of the old oil is flushed out. I do my own services, but have the local Indy do this for me every third oil change. He does not charge me anything extra except for the additional quart of oil. You will be surprised at how much extra (about 24oz), of old oil is flushed out before it turns clean. The new filter is then installed, the engine is run and the oil tank is topped off.

sandrooney

Would the magnets cause any problems with electronics close by, and what if 2000 miles after an oil change the magnet were to come off somehow, or was stolen, would all that metal go in the engine at once? That couldn't be good.
Just wondering,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

choseneasy

Cut your filter open and look for lots of metal inside.  It will really give you an idea if things are going bad.

Norton Commando

Also, keep in mind that magnets will not trap aluminum, such as lifter stools and numerous cam chest surfaces. Nor will it trap brass, such as piston rod races, wrist pin bushings and a multitude of other bushings. 
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

JohndeereG

I would check the lifter rollers, bearings and pins and also check the cam bearing if you have not done so. This is the area
most common to fail on an EVO and result in metal fillings in the oil.
93 FXR