April 27, 2024, 09:57:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What issues with '92 Sporty?

Started by Hossamania, March 03, 2009, 02:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

My friend has a chance to pick up a '92 Sporty 883 for $2500.00 for his wife. She's coming off a 600 Shadow and is a good rider.
What issues does he need to be aware of, if any. (I'm sure there must be something!)
It has 11,000 miles and hasn't been run for 6 years. I'm OK with cleaning the carb, changing fluids, soaking the cylinders to get it ready to fire.
I read on another post that clutch adjustment may be challenging. I'll make him pick up a service manual- anybody got one?
Any issues with weak cases, trannies, etc? Haven't even started with Hot-Rodding it!!
What about jetting on the carb, with the stock AC and with hi-flow AC?
Any help would be appreciated.  Smart ass answers will be tolerated. :wink:

Also he wants to change the gas tank to a bigger size, more for range than looks, but cosmetics can become a factor. Any info on fitment or sources?
Hope this isn't too many questions. (How could it be- this is HTT! :teeth:)

Thanks in advance.

Hoss
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

andyxlh

Hello mate
the '92 was a couple of years into the 5 speed trans models. the gearbox from 91-94 can be a little whiney in gears 2-4 as there was a revision in '94 to eliminate this by changing the gear teeth, annoying but not a problem. the clutch is the same as the 90-97 BT and is bulletproof. You have the clutch cover with the small hole for clutch adjustment, after 94 they had a big derby cover which simplified access to the clutch, but I wouldn't think clutch access is an issue, my '89 has the same arrangement. You can retro fit the later primary cover to your bike if u want.
the oil tanks up to '94 have a problem with cracking at the front mount, and then they leak. This is easily fixed by putting a big weld around the mount, if yours doesn't leak it has probably been done.
It sounds like you have the right idea re starting the bike after a long lay off. a couple of oil changes in the next few hundred miles would be a good idea and keep an eye out for chaff in the oil.
If i remember correctly, the early 5 speed 883's had a weaker starter than the 1200's. Later ones had the same on 1200 and 883 - check the part numbers at the dealer. the weaker ones are not great for starting the 1200 conversion, but mine did it for 10 years before I changed to an Ultima and what a difference!
Not sure with the USA models, but I think the '92 883 was the last chain drive. If yours is built after sept '92 it will be a '93 model which has a belt drive. That's what happened in Australia anyway.
re jetting - I have a 1200 conversion with hot cams and run 180/45 jets which works for me. For advice on this and other stuff go to the sportster home page - www.sportster.org there is loads of stuff on there.
there's some detail about the oil tank leak on my site - www.youfreeweb.com/andysharleys
cheers mate
Andy
Sydney
'89xlh
'96flhr
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Hossamania

Thanks Andy. I'm sure I'll be posting more as we get into it!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

calif phil

90 was the last chain sporty in the USA.   As far as the tank goes I would opt for a 3.3 gal from a later model sporty. The aftermarket fatbob tanks are of dubious quality.   I would buy that bike if I were you. It sounds like a good deal.