May 08, 2024, 06:33:49 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

rocker arm base gasket replace

Started by 1996FXDSconv, February 25, 2014, 08:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1996FXDSconv

I've got a 96 FXDS that's weeping oil at the front rocker base gasket. I want to replace both front and back gaskets while in frame.  Ive read that I can jack it up and drop the front motor mount and loosen the rear mounts enough to drop the front of the engine to make it more accessible to work on...is this true?

I'm what you would call an ultra noob..I've got a clymers manual and "think" I can do this...what's the hardest part of this job and what do I need to watch out for? do I need to remove push rods to do this?  Thanks for any advice

nibroc

I've replaced my 99FLSTC and 98FLHTC rocker gaskets w/o much trouble--wifie helps me with mostly constructive criticism--rear is harder to do than front

Breeze

I've removed my '92 FXD rocker boxes several times. The only "special" thing I had to do is cut a allen wrench very short to get to the left rear rocker box bolt. Maybe I loosened one end of the engine spport arm to push the engine left to get some clearance (?). Been a couple years since, but I do remember changing rocker box gaskets in a motel parking lot.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

1996FXDSconv

Nibroc...my wife's "criticism" is the reason i'm doing it myself...the $220 HD wants to do the job means no new shoes for her.  Breeze, do I need to take the tank off?

Breeze

I did not remove my tank in the motel lot (at home, it's easier, so I do). I removed the rear tank bolt, and lifted it some. Removing the tank makes it a lot easier, and your neck won't get so tired from tilting your head to see what you're doing.  :bike:
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Dan89flstc

Remember to follow the service manual instructions to the letter. Don`t use an aftermarket manual, only the genuine Harley Davidson service manual.

Make sure you read and understand the instructions on what position to have the crankshaft in when you are loosening the rocker support bolts, and when you re install them. And be careful about rotating the engine, follow those instructions very carefully.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

ScottyMoore

try a ballend 3/16 Hex for easier access to the "hidden" srews. I suggest Cometik gaskets

G SM

Rock 'n' Roll is good for you