May 01, 2024, 04:17:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bad parts and bad attitude

Started by cactuscruiser, March 03, 2009, 09:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactuscruiser

Went to a HD shop a couple of weeks ago to get a new "speed generator" for my '99 Ultra. The speed generator is that little piece on my front axle that when the front wheel turns, it spins the cable that goes to my speedometer. Well anyway, the unit lasted about 120 miles. The gearing locked up inside the unit. Call the HD shop to see about another unit. They don't have one in stock and they will not warranty the bad one because they didn't install it! Good grief, how bad is that?? Guess, it's the last time I spend in that shop. Got a another coming from Zanotti's and far cheaper too.

Princess Butt

Just remember: the dealers with good service will survive the recession.

Let us know when and where for their going out of business sale. 

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

92flhtcu

Being in the auto repair biz, i am always floored by the customer service gaffes that i read on here, probably some young guy that just does not get it because they had to let the more experienced guy(a little higher pay) go, so now they got two or three young guys instaed of one experienced guy that knew what it was all about......
Make sure that cable is lubed!!
Rob
Need a bigger garage

June2017

Can you imagine if we faced these issues with car/truck parts ? 

Rags722

Like 92flhtcu said.. something caused the first one to go bad, now the second one failed as well.  Before you go for the third, make damned sure you don't have a cable binding up.  In a way, I can see the dealers point - unless you can show the part was defective, how do they know the "average" guy isn't buying parts to try and fix a problem that is caused by something else that they would have checked when they installed the part.  Not saying that's the case in your situation, but you know it does happen.

IBARider

Wow!  I didn't even know they still had speedo cables in '99

Last year, I had a bike in a local dealership for warranty repair.  This bike was bought from another dealer 100 miles away, but it was broke down, that's why it was in local shop.  It took em a month to fix it, (another reason I try not to do biz with them).  Anyways, this local store manager asked me what they could do to earn my business back.  I said just have the Service Manager apologize to me for blowing me off for two weeks.  Store manager said that was easy.  I told em I'd bet a hundred that the service manager couldn't do it.  I was right and store manager witnessed it.  I told them both that when they lost the weekend warrior biz, old timers like me wouldn't be back.  They're hurting right now and when I got a flyer in mail to come in and buy specials, I called that manager back and said I wouldn't buy an HD from them if they were the last store around.  Just because an arogant sob couldn't say "I'm sorry I blew you off".  he wants to apologize now... too late
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

JohnnyM

Last year I made an appointment with my local dealer to have a new set of tires installed on my bike.  While I was at the dealer, two riders came in.  They were traveling from New York to San Diego when the stator on one of the bikes failed.  I over heard the service writer tell these New Yorkers that all the mechanics were busy and it would be three days before they could work on the bike.  Stunned, I offered my appointment.  Next, I went to the Sales Manager and got use of a demo bike for the day.  The two New Yorkers took off to see the local sights while the downed bike was repaired.  Next I went to the owner of the dealership and complained to him about the really bad treatment these guys got.  I don’t work there and seldom buy anything there and it’s certainly not my responsibility to see that they do the right thing but I just could not stand it.  I later found that the service writer was replaced and has left the dealership.  Current policy is that a traveler gets priority over locals.  That’s as it should be and I hope I instigated the change in policy.

Ratfade

One of the things I like about HD ownership is that if  you have a problem while travelling, most dealers will put you at the front of the line. Only once, at Apol's HD in Raymond, MN, have I experienced the opposite. My stator went out, and they told me they couldn't get to it for a week. I can't imagine where you'd stay for a week in Raymond. Fortunately, I found an indy about 50 miles away, and he was great about fitting me right in. I sent the manager a letter when I returned home, and I got a polite response, but the only way I'd ever return there is if they were giving away free money.

tireater

Our local stealer quoted me an hour in writing to check out my blown oil pump due to my bent crankshaft...
When I showed up later in the day...They wanted 4 hours of labor they would of used if they fixed the bike..???
So I paid them for 1 hour and me and my large buddy challenged the entire service crew to stop us from loading my bike in a truck...
Of course they deny the warranty claim...They say in writing that I did not allign the oil pump when I changed cams 4k miles ago...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Bigs

Guess I'm lucky as where I live. The York HD dealer is family owned and the chief mechanic is part owner and has been working on Harleys since before I came here in '77. If your on the road and have trouble they will put you at the head on the line for service. Also the indy 3/4 mile from me will do the same. Both places good to do business with but the indy is cheaper.
   Bigs

Ultrashovel

March 04, 2009, 10:27:29 AM #10 Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:12:24 PM by Ultrashovel
They're all made in China, even the ones you get from HD. you need to know the ratio of your old one. They come in several different ratios due to speedo type and wheel size. There is also left and right side mounting. It makes a difference since they turn in the wrong direction if you mount a left on the right or vice versa. All of the aftermarket places have them. Try J&P, Custom Chrome (are they still  in business?), Chrome Specialties, V-Twin, etc, the usual companies.

JamLazyAss

Ya know, bashing the dealers is so easy that it's just not worth posting it anymore.
The lack of class and the abundance of ignorance is amazing.
BUT understand, it's not only at Harley Dealerships.
I went to a local Dodge Dealership a few days ago to turn in my truck lease.
Word must have got out as to why I was there because it took 25 minutes before I was helped.
Not a single customer in the place either.
Employees were hanging out in the back. Lunch maybe?
They couldn't have cared less that I was there. I had to wait for one particular individual.
I guess the new car/truck business is really good these days.

At least when I stop at our local HD, I get greated by most of the employees.
Yes I know most of them as I used to work there, but everyone, strangers included, are professionaly greeted.

Times are changing.
Hopefully the better dealers will survive the tough times with our support.

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

mark61

Quote from: Bigs on March 04, 2009, 09:18:21 AM
Guess I'm lucky as where I live. The York HD dealer is family owned and the chief mechanic is part owner and has been working on Harleys since before I came here in '77. If your on the road and have trouble they will put you at the head on the line for service. Also the indy 3/4 mile from me will do the same. Both places good to do business with but the indy is cheaper.
   Bigs

Laugerman's ARE nice people who have been HD for 3 generations now! Probably THE best HD dealer I have ever been in! If  you started going in 1977 you were at the old building before the fire? AWESOME place to see!

mark61

Norskie

The dealer I go to in Black River Falls, WI has always treated his customers well.  When you walk in the door you're greeted like you just made their day.  They do repairs on a "time and material" basis which is much, much less than the book rate.  They are 50 miles north of me but would much rather go there than the 30 miles to La Crosse.
Ray J.

92flhtcu

I guess I was not really bashing dealers, just a fact of the times in a lot of dealers that they are letting go the higher paid/experienced guys and we then have to deal with the inexperienced lower paid guys. My local dealer is pretty good at what i need them for. I've had them do some tires for me(i bring in the wheels) ordered some parts from them(they let me look them up) and have had their machine shop do some machining for me on stuff i've taken in. All in all nice folks and I am active in the chapter. I have not had my bike in their service dept and I hear alot of positive as well as negative and I dont recognize most of the techs. Just the deal at this one, i live outside milwaukee and there are 5 dealers within about a 30 mile radius. Also several indy's within 15 minutes of home and I use one for all my aftermarket, some oem and all my tires. always surprises me that he can sell me oem parts less than the dealer...
Rob
Need a bigger garage

Mickster

Mark Muth Harley Davidson in Black River Falls, Wisconsin...
Family owned since...his dad...
Those folks are top shelf..
Been there, and wear the shirt...
Mickster

vans24

The only dealership here in town wont bother to look at you unless your dressed like  Freddy  Mercury  in brand new leather from head to tow  :hyst:.. and forget it if you actually  do your own  work . all of a sudden that part they  say they change quite often .. has to  be ordered. two weeks..LOL