May 01, 2024, 05:28:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Florida is so fine...

Started by tireater, March 04, 2009, 10:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tireater

Antonio Gonzales rode his customized Harley-Davidson from New Mexico to Bike Week, and then his wallet got a painful welcome from a Flagler Beach police officer -- a $1,151 citation for having his bike's license plate mounted vertically on a saddle bag.

"I rode all the way out here and all I have is 700 bucks," Gonzales said. "Then I get a $1,151 ticket."

Many bikers who ride customized motorcycles mount their plates vertically. ABATE, a motorcyclists advocacy group, was shocked by the new state law that took effect in the summer, said Mike Price, state legislative director for ABATE of Florida.

Price said the problem was "a very poorly written law" meant to target riders who intentionally conceal their plates, including using devices to flip the plates up out of sight. But instead it also snares people who simply mount the plates vertically, Price said.

He said ABATE has contacted the law's originators, Rep. Carlos Lopez-Cantera, a Republican from Miami, and Sen. Rudy Garcia, a Republican from Hialeah.

"Of course, they realized the error in the wording of the new law and it is our understanding that this law will be corrected during this next legislative session," Price said.

Lopez-Cantera and Garcia could not be reached Tuesday, the opening day of the session.

Price recommends that motorcyclists take the issue to court and ask to be fined under an already existing law against vertical plates, which calls for only about a $60 fine.

The Volusia County Sheriff's Office is only issuing $91 fines for improper display of vertical plates, spokesman Brandon Haught said. He said deputies understand the $1,151 fine has to do more with concealment than improper display.

Daytona Beach police have written three or four of the $1,151 citations, a spokesman said.

Flagler Beach Police Chief Dan Cody said he thought the fine was excessive, but he added his department has cited three or four bikers with the big fine.

"Myself, I'd suggest to all these people to go to court and let the judge decide," Cody said. "To me, it's ridiculous."
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

ceduby

I think the Nightster's have the plate mounted vertically from the factory. What are you supposed to do about that??
Beat it to fit, paint it to match

tireater

i saw one in Cali. and it was horizontal...But it would fold back if it hit something...(or if you gave it a kick)...

ceduby

You might be right about that te. It's been awhile since I saw one. Hell it's been awhile since I saw any!! LOL
Beat it to fit, paint it to match

tireater

The funny thing is they were trying to ban folding lic. plates...(like on the Nightster) and somehow verticle plates got thrown in...

guido4198

This year's "enhanced enforcement" issues are:
Improperly displayed (Vertical) license plates.
Pulling wheelies
Speeding at "reckless driving" levels.
EACH will get you the aforementioned 1000.00 fine plus costs.
Welcome To paradise...!!!!!!!!!!!

Panzer

Man, those poor guys in Daytona. :sad:
Another case of where the cops should use common sence and a warning.
When you get that many bikers in a group at bike week, it's (for the cops) like shooting fish in a barrel.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

HroadhogD1

Sounds like a good place to stay away from.  All of the rallies are getting that way though.

Snorth

The vertical license plates are not illegal if the the plates are from a state where the vertical plates are legal.  Or so I was informed earlier this year.  I'll see if I can dig that notice up

hardtail84

All I can say is if you're dumb enough to go to these crap ass rallys you better be be prepared to pay the sucker tax. It's not like it was in the 80's when peaple were cool, now it's gimme your money ass hole.
It'll fit, just hit it harder!