May 10, 2024, 06:12:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

which do you prefer a Lathe or bench top drill/mill

Started by gabbyduffy, March 03, 2014, 03:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabbyduffy

I've been looking for a lathe or a bench top drill/mill for my garage and was wondering which would be better for a beginner to start with for working on Harley heads?  Is there a particular size or brand lathe that mechanics prefer to use for working on heads? 

Duffy 216-633-8541 eastern time zone.

Coff 06

For head work I would think a mill over a lathe.But then again I don't do headwork.I was a machinist years ago,things change.            Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

q1svt

Think about the types of things you will be making...  what do they require (milling, drilling, lathing) and how big are pieces your making?  Do friends/family already have one that is available where you can get the other? There are some small three in-one machines too... 
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

PoorUB

Quote from: gabbyduffy on March 03, 2014, 03:18:22 PM
             I've been looking for a lathe or a bench top drill/mill for my garage and was wondering which would be better for a beginner to start with for working on Harley heads?  Is there a particular size or brand lathe that mechanics prefer to use for working on heads? 

Head work? I am not sure I would want either! :scratch:

What type of head work are you thinking of doing? Most guys doing head work have a dedicated machine that is built just for head and valve work.

If you are serious about getting a mill/drill get one with collets. The mills with a morse taper don't hold milling cutters very well. fine for drilling, not so good for milling. Nothing better than to ruin a day when the milling cutter comes lose and gouges a gasket sealing surface.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

gabbyduffy

I would like to have the ability to deck a set of heads if need be, I have a few other projects in mind as well. need something that can run off a 240 line. I want to stay away from phase converters if all possible. What kind of mount would you need to attach a head to a lathe?

FSG

QuoteWhat kind of mount would you need to attach a head to a lathe?

A Trock Cylinder Head Face Plate.   I have one but my lathe isn't big enough   :emsad:

Olivepearl

I do more general work on my Bridgeport than the lathe...but I prefer a mill anyway. I bought my Bridgeport Mill and SouthBend Lathe from Siemens when they upgraded their machines the only thing is it's 3 phase power and gave $1500 each and I will never wear them out and have more than paid for themselves 10 fold. If I did head work I think I would prefer a mill and would check out your local Industrial Manufactures to see if they have any older machines they would sell.

Robert

PoorUB

A friend of mine has an old Bridgeport mill and a lathe from www.grizzly.com. Both are three phase. He picked up a variable frequency drive and has the drive wired to run either of them through a couple contactors. With a VFD you get infinitely variable speeds.

You can pick up some nice used industrial equipment for a good price but be aware most of it is three phase. I have a nice Powermatic drill press with a three phase motor that I bought for $600. It replaced a ~ drill press that weighed 50 pounds. The Powermatic weighs around 600 pounds. I run it with a used VFD scavenged from my job when we were demo'ing a building.

Just Nick

FSG is trock stuff still available? I thought he passed away and no one took over.
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

FSG

gabbyduffy

What size lathe would you need to run the trock plate? I'm guessing one can use the trock plate to mount cylinders down as well.

Cracked Head

13 inch ,preferable with lots of mass, aka heavy machine as the Trock plate with head mounted is out of balance.Some folks adapt counterbalance weights to Trock plate.The Trock plate is not for cylinders,but you can make up jigs to hold cylinders and will most likely need special chuck jaws made up.Remember the machine is the cheaper investment,it is the tooling and fixtures that really add up.
Liberty is precious,don.t loose it

q1svt

Quote from: gabbyduffy on March 03, 2014, 05:35:20 PM
I would like to have the ability to deck a set of heads if need be, I have a few other projects in mind as well. need something that can run off a 240 line.

Would look at Smihty 1-3 machines... big enough for HD heads, not so much car/truck.  Depending on investment $$ available either the Granite's or the Midas's models. 

http://www.smithy.com/granite/pricing/i-max

Quote from: Cracked Head on March 04, 2014, 05:55:42 AM
Remember the machine is the cheaper investment,it is the tooling and fixtures that really add up.
:agree:  and quickly
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

HD95

Quote from: gabbyduffy on March 03, 2014, 03:18:22 PM

If you plan plan on machining harley heads, a milling machine is the answer.
03 Electra-Glide/S&S 124"/TTS/Supertrapp

Hillside Motorcycle

We have 4 lathes, 3 mills, a drill press, 4 different grinders, 2 hones, 2 different cylinder head machining set-ups, and all tooled to the hilt, some of which will sit un-used..............right until you need it.
The tooling is what'll cost, as none of anything good, is inexpensive.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

prodrag1320

if your going to start putting together a machine shop,get real machines.stay away from "bench top" anything

gabbyduffy

Would a bench top mill/drill unit like this be sufficient?

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Olivepearl

Quote from: prodrag1320 on March 04, 2014, 04:30:20 PM
if your going to start putting together a machine shop,get real machines.stay away from "bench top" anything

Never a statement more true. I took Votech in Highschool with Machining and Welding and I wouldn't buy Mickey Mouse tabletop anything just for home hobby starting out...but that is me! And I agree with Hillside the tooling will cost you 3-4 times what you pay for the Machines there again if you buy the good stuff. :up:

Robert

Homeward Bound

Quote from: FSG on March 03, 2014, 07:32:36 PM
There is still some of it kicking around.
There's one on Ebay right now for $300, I think. Link, here?

truck

Quote from: gabbyduffy on March 04, 2014, 04:39:42 PM
It's impressive looking but it's too flimsy. You need bulk for good results.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Olivepearl

Coff 06

I agree with looking flimsy, I think the machine should be a little overkill for the job at hand.
When your working with close tolerance the machine can't be flexing.       Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

HD95

Try and find an older Bridgeport milling machine...shouldn't break the bank.
03 Electra-Glide/S&S 124"/TTS/Supertrapp

PoorUB

Quote from: gabbyduffy on March 04, 2014, 04:39:42 PM

Barely, looks like a hobby machine. Also does it have a collet in the spindle, or morse taper?

Check out the online equipment auctions, often you can find used industrial equipment at a good price.

http://www.maxanet.com/cgi-bin/mndetails.cgi?hoffhilk95

http://www.k-bid.com/

FSG

It'd be all right for some of the rough crap I do, putting holes in plate and such, but I'd not buy it for working on heads.  I've friends with Bridgeports that do that for me, while the small (POS)  lathe I have is for making axle spacers and such.