May 02, 2024, 05:07:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fairly Lame Question

Started by Gunney8, November 01, 2008, 08:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunney8

Got the "eyelid" cover on headlight and had it pretty well closed up (meaning there was no gap at the bottom where it bolts together)... Have had it for almost a year and a couple of weeks ago while backing out of garage I heard an odd sound. Rode to work and buddy asked me what happened to my headlight, it's cracked...

$100 replacement and put the eyelid cover back on, but now have a gap at bottom... ya'll think maybe headlight cracked because the original was too tight? Should I just live with the gap?

Pretty lame, but at $100 a pop, don't want to "pop" another one.

RK101

Gunney mine was like that until I tapped on it with the palm of my hand to seat it right.
All it needed was a little coaxing ;D
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

JD_Hog

The ones I had on my 01 Ultra had "chrome tape" that you put between the gap from behind to hide it.
Jim Diebolt - JD Hog
08 Ultra Classic  ABS/Security
http://tinyurl.com/67jvoc

bbqjmaki

You know you loosen the stock trim ring a little to let the new trim ring get in the crack. Then it will tighten up at the bottom.
  John

Gunney8

Actually, I didn't know to loosen the stock ring first. Don't remember seeing that in the instructions... makes sense and will do so in the morn... thanks!!!

Flat Dog

Yep-it's in the current instructions, and yes-too much tension on glass that heat cycles could definitely cause it to break.

tmsimmon

So let us know how it works out...

Quote from: Gunney8 on November 01, 2008, 09:59:37 PM
Actually, I didn't know to loosen the stock ring first. Don't remember seeing that in the instructions... makes sense and will do so in the morn... thanks!!!