May 02, 2024, 03:30:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Need help with a clue or some type of bonding agent

Started by RoadGlide0611, March 05, 2009, 07:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadGlide0611

I took the inner fairing off my bike.  The plastic housing around the speedo and tach are suppose to have two clips, one at the top and one at the bottom.  The bottom one is broke.(it's plastic you know), and I would like to know if any one has a glue or other suggestions to keep the rear of the speedo housing tight.  Theres about a 1/4 inch gap now, don't know if you would see it after I get the other parts on.  But it could cause the other flimsy clip to break.  I don't think I'll ever take it off again, so I was thinking of gluing it.  Any suggestions?
2009 Road Glide, 107 with S&S 551 cams, Dresser Duals, Rev Performance EMS

Glenn W

A local body shop will have the glues for that type of plastic. To fill gas you could also try JBWeld or Plexus brand MA400 epoxy. I'd swing by a body shop myself-there are so many new adhesives out there it's hard to keep up. Try On-Hand Adhesives or McMaster-carr also, they have websites.
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

seattledyna

this is the proper material to use on the type of plastic the fairings are made of (PPE), it is kind of expensive and takes a special applicator gun to dispence it, this is what most all body shops use to repair the plastic bumpers and flexible parts, etc. There are similar epoxys available in smaller amounts at auto paint supply stores.

MMOCGuy

Try this stuff. It is called Plastex and is available through the link below.

http://plastex.home.att.net/

It is amazing stuff. It takes a little practice to use it properly but, if you follow the instructions and the video (Which is included on a small CD), you can repair any plastic part. You can even make new tabs. I've used it to repair a tab on a plastic microwave cover and it is holding better than new. I bought it originally to repair a cracked plastic panel on my Corvette but wanted to try it on another piece first. I haven't gotten to the 'Vette yet but that will be the next plastex repair job.  :up:

Hope this helps.

Norm.

RoadGlide0611

I'll look into that at the auto supply.  Thanks

mark98012

I picked some stuff a couple of years ago at an autobody supply store. Two part, stinks like h*ll, green in color, has small fibers in it, used it to repair a fiberglass saddlebag. When I get home I'll look up the name, stuff works great.

Mark
Mark98012

buck1032

Here's a handy site to bookmark. Just a neat guide when you need to adhere items back together.
http://www.thistothat.com/

RainDodger

Another good one is Marine-Tex. It's great for repairing anything like that. I repaired a fuel injection air box in a car with Marine-Tex and it's been in place since I made the repair... back in 1989. You can find it around any boat supply place or online. Similar to JB Weld I think.

RoadGlide0611

That's a pretty cool site.  I added it to my favorites.  Thanks