May 08, 2024, 11:05:17 PM

News:

Burns Stainless Exhaust Headers

Started by vincer77, March 18, 2014, 04:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike jesse

Quote from: torqueinc on March 21, 2014, 06:37:32 PM
I think if you intend to compete with the other touring 2-1 pipes on the market.....the base system would need to extend to the end of or past the bags.

:agree:

gordonr

I think making a custom exhaust system with variables that would cover most builds. By having 3 different muffler bodies lengths avail and inserts. Possibly coming up with an idea similar to Corsa's reflective sound tech. By making the collector slide on the primaries to find what length the primaries really are best while on the dyno. JMO
"If was easy everyone would do it"

strokerjlk

:agree:  Gordon ..be way cool
Vince
FWIW
for the bagger big inch crowd.if you want to make an off the shelf 2-1 pipe.
i would start with testing a wegner 2-1, a borazilla 2-1, and a rush wrath 2-1 all on the same bike . something that makes135-140 hp
from there you can see what it takes to make the hp of a wegner ,and the tq of the the zilla and wrath.
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Snowyone

I'd be in line if you make one for an 011 softail with 124 S&S power

03NhHarley

Hey Vince any R&D yet? Thinking  about different exhaust for my 117. But it would have to reach the end of the bags.

No Cents

Quote from: 03NhHarley on May 03, 2014, 05:59:56 AM
Hey Vince any R&D yet? Thinking  about different exhaust for my 117. But it would have to reach the end of the bags.
I don't know how much Vince frequents the forum...you might want to send him a pm or e-mail with your question.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

jam65

Quote from: No Cents on May 03, 2014, 07:59:46 AM
I don't know how much Vince frequents the forum...you might want to send him a pm or e-mail with your question.
:agree: He hasn't been on this site for a month.

03NhHarley

I'm lookin but not looking. More like brainstorming ideas. I think my thunderheader is holding back my 117 a bit. I dont know the dyno numbers cause its tuned with a t-max. It feels like it has a good dip between 2-3k. I love the look of your pipe but would like it to extended closer to the end of the bike. Was hoping they ade some pregress on a production pipe. Hoping it will be priced between dragos pipes and a boarzilla.

No Cents

It's stainless...and not made of mild steel...so my guess is it will cost more than both Drago's pipes and the Zilla if Burns does decide to ever  offer a direct bolt on pipe.
I told Vince in the beginning that cost of a complete system would be a main concern to a lot of guys.
I paid $927.00 for all the pieces to build my exhaust...plus I paid my welder $20.00 for each weld he did after I mocked it all up.

Deye76

Quote from: 03NhHarley on May 03, 2014, 02:50:24 PM

I'm lookin but not looking. More like brainstorming ideas. I think my thunderheader is holding back my 117 a bit. I dont know the dyno numbers cause its tuned with a t-max. It feels like it has a good dip between 2-3k. I love the look of your pipe but would like it to extended closer to the end of the bike. Was hoping they ade some pregress on a production pipe. Hoping it will be priced between dragos pipes and a boarzilla.

In the meantime, tried bending a couple tabs? No not beer cans :hyst:,  the ones in the muffler.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

TorQuePimp

Quote from: No Cents on May 03, 2014, 04:15:22 PM
It's stainless...and not made of mild steel...so my guess is it will cost more than both Drago's pipes and the Zilla if Burns does decide to ever  offer a direct bolt on pipe.
I told Vince in the beginning that cost of a complete system would be a main concern to a lot of guys.
I paid $927.00 for all the pieces to build my exhaust...plus I paid my welder $20.00 for each weld he did after I mocked it all up.

Yipe....at least stainless is easy to weld

03NhHarley

May 03, 2014, 06:29:30 PM #61 Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 06:53:17 PM by 03NhHarley
Quote from: Deye76 on May 03, 2014, 04:16:31 PM
Quote from: 03NhHarley on May 03, 2014, 02:50:24 PM

In the meantime, tried bending a couple tabs? No not beer cans :hyst:,  the ones in the muffler.

Beer cans yes. muffler ones no. Waiting to see how it does on the dyno first. I had planned to do a 98 build but found out my crank had .013 run out so i needed a crank. Needless to say i went 117. So im planning to address the thunderheader and HPI 51mm when the right deals come along. Not sure which one is holding me back more.
Quote from: No Cents on May 03, 2014, 04:15:22 PM

I was wondering what you paid. Its more or less on par with most Hd exhausts. Boarzillas are right around $1000. Im trying to look for a used one. If i drop the coin for a new one i will be doing the burns.

No Cents

you can also e-mail him @:
vince@burnsstainless.com

Vince is a super nice guy and will get back to you quickly.

Showdog75

If anyone near Chattanooga, Tn ever wants to fab there own Burns pipe up I'd love to help fab and weld one up. I have fabbed and welded stainless exhaust for $100k street rods and I'm certain I can give you the weld quality you deserve after spending so much on nice pieces. I'm portable or you can come to me. I'm not posting this as advertisement but more as a offer to help someone have a nice exhaust. Not free but the better quality beer you have on hand the lower the price(have to pay for consumables).If anyone is interested shoot me a pm.

FastFLSTF

Back in 2005 I had a 2:1 cobbled together for my 2000 Softail, using a Burns reverse megaphone collector and stepped headpipes.  Headpipes were designed with input from Mike Roland and Gerald Rinehart, and Gerald welded them and matched to the Burns megaphone.  Worked incredible.  Better numbers than RC 2:1, AR100s, or any other pipe I had tried.  This on a 4.25"x4.25" 121" Twin Cam with Wild Things heads, headwork by Mike Roland, non-marketed Wild Thing cams, 13:5:1 compression, and assembly/tuning by Ken at Black Hills. 

Sound was loud!  But Unlike most any other Softail I had seen at the time.  That Softail ran 10.14 @ 131 MPH in Gainesville with my 225lbs but in the seat.

Mike

No Cents

:up:  :up:
very nice looking exhaust Mike!
I'm elated with my Burns stainless pipe.

03NhHarley

That is one sweet looking fat boy. Love the look of the pipe. What effect would making it say 6" longer have? Id like to get closer to the end of the bag.

No Cents

Burns computer designs the exhaust for most applications with performance in mind. But if your not worried about the high performance and you just like the look of stainless and your wanting your exhaust to go to the end of your bags...you just have to fabricate it up so it ends where you want it.
Burns sells tubing in pieces...bends with different angles, with different size OD's, along with straight tubing. They sell different size collectors with different size reverse megaphone mufflers for your application.
You can design what you want your system to look like if your going for a certain look...you'll just have to order the pieces you will need to make it with.
Your end product...depends on you.

C-Cat

Will be calling Burns in a few weeks for megaphone muffler/w baffle and collector, once we have all the engine specs. I already have the stainless for headpipes. This will be a 2into1 for a high compression 124ci. 07 Dyna mid controls.
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

vincer77

Hey guys, here is a teaser.  This is the first article off our production tooling.  Should be shipping the big inch pipe (117+) in about 4 weeks.

Jonny Cash

Looks good!  Any idea if it would clear the S&S nosecone? 
Accurate information is expensive, rare and difficult to find!

1FSTRK

Quote from: vincer77 on August 21, 2015, 04:45:35 PM
Hey guys, here is a teaser.  This is the first article off our production tooling.  Should be shipping the big inch pipe (117+) in about 4 weeks.

What does the tq curve look like with that pipe?
give us a graph and motor specs.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

No Cents

Vince...am I seeing that right?
It looks like you have 3 custom bent sections of tubing in that pipe....both center sections and the rear head pipes last step.
  I knew it wouldn't take long before someone would ask for a dyno graph of how the pipe performs. Proof will be in the pudding.
Sneak us a spy shot of that big incher pipe your talking about for the 117"ers and up.  :potstir:

Ray

qtrracer

That is the big inch pipe pictured, I believe.

1FSTRK

Quote from: No Cents on August 21, 2015, 06:12:37 PM
  Vince...am I seeing that right?
It looks like you have 3 custom bent sections of tubing in that pipe....both center sections and the rear head pipes last step.
  I knew it wouldn't take long before someone would ask for a dyno graph of how the pipe performs. Proof will be in the pudding.
Sneak us a spy shot of that big incher pipe your talking about for the 117"ers and up.  :potstir:

Ray

Ray I need to see the curve and engine specs because if I spend all my money on the pipe and don't like the curve I won't have any money left to pay you to make me an end cap to fix it.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."