May 03, 2024, 09:08:19 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

frosted intake

Started by stroker800, March 05, 2009, 09:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stroker800

I realize I should know this ,,,but I don't know 100% why....I ran a SU carb on my shovel with the elbow intake..It hangs the carb way out 6"-8" off the motor ...After riding a while the intake would frost over,,icey to the touch...The bike ran like a raped ape ,,,the only thing I didn't like was rubbing on my knee. I figure there is an answer with you guys,,,thanks
Dave

motorplex88

I've had this happen on some old super modified stock cars [six cylinders] where the intake hung out away from the engine. The thing would run really! good and then would burn a piston. This happend a couple of times till finally I got to pits fast enough and got the hood off to find the intake frosted. Got some engine heat going to the intake and problem was cured. Took awhile before I could figure out why the motor was going lean. Food for thought. 

triumphbruce

The venture effect.the narrowing and widening of the carb throat
slows then speeds the intake air causing cooling

jimrookie

I had a hot rod Bug motor with a high rise manifiold and large carb, no heat riser so any time it was 45 or colder the carb and the manifold near the carb would turn into a frosty
block of ice then it would start spittin and sputtering and loose power