April 30, 2024, 07:18:45 AM

News:

S & S 80"

Started by 410Sawyer, March 05, 2009, 02:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

410Sawyer

Have a chance to pick up a '84 FLH for what I think is a pretty fair price. But it has a 2004 S & S 80" motor with a just tuned Super E in it. The guy says it's only got about 1400 mi on it and that it runs strong. Never had dealings with S & S motors before. Any opinions or advice on this motor. Thanks

410Sawyer

Forgot to tell you, it's a shovelhead style

blackbeard 60

hey man ya can't go wrong

76shuvlinoff

March 05, 2009, 04:00:21 PM #3 Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:49:59 AM by 76shuvlinoff
 Been running an S&S longblock 93"er for 21000 plus miles, bought it new and installed it in 2004.
Mine bit me at 4000 miles with bad valve seals causing smoke. Didn't bother with harassing S&S about it and in retrospect I should have but I wanted to ride and I wanted to ride now.  My indy did a hone and re-ring since I had it down. 13,000 later more smoke, had broken bottom rings in both cyls so it's .010 over now.  Can't  blame issue number 2 on S&S and it seems to be fine at the moment.

Would I do it all again?   Oh Hellll yes!

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

randallwhitman

S&S just celebrated their 50th birthday last summer.  They have a great reputation and great products.  Wouldn't bother me at all.......just make sure the title reflects the motor change.  The numbers won't match, and you've got to look out for stolen something or other when the numbers don't match.  Ask your local law enforcement what to look for.  If you buy, Al is the shovel expert at SnS.....really nice guy who will take the dumbest questions over the phone.  I know.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

ST40

I'm running a 93" standard compression Shovel style. At a little less than 10000 miles I'm a little disappointed with it.  I like the power and reliability.  I have to deal with 2 oil leaks before spring, and the lifter noise has always bothered me.  If I had it to do over again, I would probably put the money toward a second (newer) bike and rebuild the 74" Shovel. (which I will do anyway.)  It's always easy to look in the rear view.  I  think they are a little overrated.     :smiled:      Marty
Marty

biker3r

S&s probably is a little overated , and ive heard a few leak complaints, that said i never had a factory motor that didnt leak either, if the paper work is good id go for it.