April 30, 2024, 04:00:40 AM

News:

Eco crank upgrade

Started by 1stop, April 04, 2014, 09:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1stop

I got a 74" 76 model case that wheels went out. I have a 92 model Evo crank that I would like to bump the motor Up to 80". Is there any clearance issues when doing so? Any considerations to take in account?

easyricer

I can't think of any clearance issues you'd have as long as you use 78-84 80ci (3 1/2in) pistons. The difference I think is going to be the pinion shaft of the 92 is bored for internal oiling. You might also have to update all of the pinion gears and cam gear.
I'm sure Scott and Kirby will ring in for anything I missed.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

SideWalker

April 05, 2014, 04:31:22 AM #2 Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:38:57 AM by SideWalker
Yeah you'll have to change the pinion,cam,oil pump and breather gears to the newer style, they changed over to the new style in late 1977.
Sometimes I Think Then Do, Most Times I Do Then Think

shovelbill

build it, bust it.....figure out why

moosemush

You'll have to replace the wrist pin bushings as well. Evo pins are a thou bigger.

prodrag1320

only thing that will need to be changed will be the w. pin bushings (or just hone the piston w. pin hole +.001 & use a evo pin),as far as oil pump,cam,breather,ect. just use your `74 pinion gear,then all your earley stuff will be OK

Powerglides

-92 Evo uses the parallel pinion shaft and T-key. Oil pump drive worm, spacer, and pinion gear will have to be retained from the Evo crank. Cam will need to have the mid '77 up cam gear installed, and same for the breather gear.
KB Shovel pistons use a .792" Evo wrist pin.
Crank will need balancing.
Boz

1stop

I got all the Evo stuff to update. Read on different thread here, that shovel rockers are a differs ratio than Evo. Wanting to run an ev-27. Will I need Evo rockers, or have y'all been running stock?

panic

An imaginary conversation:
[Ring, ring]
"Good Morning, Andrews products"
"Which Evo cam do you recommend for shovelhead motors?"
"Does it have Evo heads?"
"No"
"None of them"

76shuvlinoff

April 05, 2014, 12:37:49 PM #9 Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 12:41:49 PM by 76shuvlinoff
I could be wrong but I believe to get the full benefit of your evo cam lift at the valves you would want the evo rockers.

...... and tappet block assemblies?  :scratch:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

1stop

Got Evo stock blocks , lifters, pushrods. Haven't figured out pushrods covers yet.

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

dsvracer

I like panic's approach.   very good.  dsv

saddle tramp

S&S makes rockers for shovelheads with the evo oiling set up through the lifters and up the pushrods. I've got a 75 I set up with stock evo lifters, blocks and the S&S rockers. Can't remember what cam I put in it and used a combination of Push rods and tubes I had here to get something that fit. It ran and still does and hasn't started leaking yet. But I never seem to have the money to finish it and put it on the road.