May 09, 2024, 01:07:49 PM

News:

Flatland MC Springers - Which One?

Started by Pynzo, March 06, 2009, 02:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pynzo

I'm thinking about buying one of FMC's big twin springers for a Sportster Chopper I'm putting together and was wondering if anybody has tried one of their forks. I like their stuff cause you can use your starhub with their repop springer brake setup, and they have a dual cam brake that looks like it'd stop almost as good as a disc. I'm trying to decide whether to get the 4" over inline or the 2" over offset. I've got a Paughco Sportster Rigid frame with an 18" wheel in back , 0 stretch and 35 degree neck angle(Paughco says to use a 3" over Springer for level ride)and was wondering if the 2 different forks would leave me with about the same levelness of ride, between the negative offset +2" and the 0 rake inline +4". My other option is they sell an 8" over Chopper Springer that has a 3 degree positive rake, and that would give me a total rake of 38 degrees, plus give me a real long scoot without jacking the frame up too high. Any opinions would be appreciated.

stroker800

I run a 35 degree neck,16" back wheel with a 200/60 and a stock 0 rake springer stock length....I had to lower the rear,,,,It sounds like I would go 4" over on the springer with NO offset for that rear tire and rake..jmo.
Dave

ohio-rider

Give Kurt a call at FMC and I'm sure he will be quite helpful. Phone (330)394-4545 He's still on winter hours so wait till after noon before calling.

poorbiker

Paughco starts there stock measurement an inch off what the stock length is, {correct start is stock  28",} 4" over would be 32". If you are using a 35 degree neck and stock rake, 2-1/4 in down tubes, you would need a 34" inline springer with 16" wheels, approx. But FMC dont make a 34"... I have two FMC springers, one 30" and one 32". one chrome which is very good, ther other black powder which {cosmetic} is so so. Running their dual cam brake, good unit fit and finish, works real nice.
"Effort takes no talent"

Pzokes

I would like to know if Flatland's springer and Tedd's V-Twin springer are from the same manufacturer...documentation, not just a yah yah.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

poorbiker

yes they are the same. my understanding is that tedds gets theirs from flatland? made in holland i think.......
"Effort takes no talent"

Pynzo

March 15, 2009, 07:07:09 AM #6 Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 07:14:05 AM by Pynzo
That's what I read on http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27772. They were discussing the VL replica W&W Cycle is selling, and someone posted that they contacted Kurt @ Flatland and he claimed to be the importer/ U.S. seller to VTwin and anybody else selling the "Replica Spring Fork" and Chopper Fork", as well as the brake setups, including the Dual-Cam. If you buy from Flatland, and they are cheaper, you get a warranty on the fork.