April 27, 2024, 10:33:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

STILL SMOKIN!!!!

Started by 53Pan66shovel, March 06, 2009, 02:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

53Pan66shovel

ok guys here is my problem again i went out with my dad today and rode a good two hours on the way home at bout 50mph the bike would sneez then throw blue smoke out the pipes im lost could i be getting to much pressure up to the heads and its seaping down not giving it enough time to drain? idk any ideas wehre to start i have an S&S oil pump 50wt oil since its been to cold thanks in advance!

stroker800

If it were me ,,,,I would find a good pan mechanic and have go thru it top to bottom...
Dave

Pynzo

How does your oil drain back? My '49 comes down tubes in the cylinder walls and through a channel milled in the cases at the cylinder base. Later years drained down the cylinder tube which had a passage drilled through the bottom of the cylinder wall, down onto the flywheels. It's possible a valve stem seal broke apart and is clogging up the drain passage. I'd at least pull the heads and covers to check for whatever's gunking up the drains.

53Pan66shovel

well i guess i should say its a shovel top end  :embarrassed: ha

MBSKEAM

are your oil return holes up to high in the cyl......? aftermarket cyl....?
if they are, the oil ring will travel below the hole, picking up oil and this will enter the combustion chamber.

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

stroker800

My pan is a glorified shovel,,it has a pan lower end,,,shovel cyls,,STD panheads with shovel bolt pattern. I run shovel lifter blocks ,lifters and modified shovel tubes..It has a generic S&S oil pump (38-81) My motor has external oilers, it drains bak down thru the cyls and down the pushrod tubes,,,my mechanic has blocked off the lifter block oil passages as I run solids..Check your valve seals as per thought,,,I've had experience with wrong oil pumps and oil passages bein blocked or rerouted by mistake..I do not do the lower end oiling on any of my bikes,,my mechanic does all my stuff in that area..He makes decisions of what needs more oil and how to get it there....Also seen strokers huff oil when lugged,,,i would be curious how the pump is plumbed..
Dave

Pynzo

I don't know if this will help, but I rebuilt a '66 a few years back and what took this motor out (low milage bagger) was the orangish red paint the factory used to seal the inside of the cases flaked up and clogged every oil passage from the pinion shaft up through the crankpin, lifters, and rocker shafts. Totally wiped out the flywheel thrust washers, and this bike didn't have 12,000 on the original speedo. It also messed up the breather gear. I found chunks of this paint 1/4" in diameter in the oil filter. I'd drain your oil , douche the oil bag, and check the filter before opening up the topend, you might find something that'll give you a better clue as to what's going on.

fourthgear

How do your plugs look ? Both oil fouled ? Just one , which cylinder ? I would check head gaskets if plugs are oil fouled & or valve assem. You rode a good length of time , before trouble showed up, that kinda excludes a lot of things.

53Pan66shovel

i just got home from worked jumped on it up to 90 mph bike hit like a revlimiter but dont have one now i start it and it stumbels im gonna tear the back head off when it cools down to see what the fuck is going on this is so stupid ha im getting mad the back plug is always oil fouled no matter if u put plugs in it and run it for a min its black

53Pan66shovel

well i took the head off and seen that the mill job wasnt broken so im gonna take it and get the valve guides looked at to see maybe if there loose or something