April 28, 2024, 03:48:17 AM

News:

question on 2014 fitment to 2004 wheel and axel

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, April 07, 2014, 10:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I was at a local dealer and saw the new softail Breakout.

It has a 21 inch x 130 mm front tire.

My 04 softail standard has a 21 inch whhel x 90 mm tire

What I would like to know is what the differnces are between the two wheels and axels and fork lenghts if any?

I like the look of the fatter tire in the front and was considering changing the lower forks to that of a heritage or fatboy so I could run the 16" wheel x 130 tire but of course that would require the replacement and purchase of the lower forks as well as the wheel and tire.

If the new 21 x 130 fits and does not require any fork changes or axel changes then that would solve all my issues and maintain the same ride hieght.

If anyone can look this info up I would greatly appriciate it!!

Thanks
Member since 2004

twincam8888

It would not be an easy swap. Your bike has a 3/4" axle and bearings. The Breakout has 25mm bearings which are narrower than the 3/4" bearings. Because of the width you cannot just put 3/4" inch bearings in the new wheel. No one makes 3/4" bearings in the correct od and width so you have to buy bushings (ebay Arizona Bob) to sleeve the 25mm down to 3/4". You may also need to machine the sleeves to the correct width and have the center bearing spacer shortened in an amount equal to the collar on the sleeve that you will place to the center side of the bearing.

Ok now you have a wheel that will fit your axle, one more problem, with the wheel centered in the forks the brake rotor will be to far to the left by about 1/4" inch. On a cast wheel you might take a little off the caliper and the fork where the caliper mounts. With a laced wheel you can lossen one side of the spokes while tightening the other side so to draw the hub over so to let the caliper and rotor line up.

Or you could buy a wider aftermarket laced 21" wheel that fits your bike and run a 120mm tire.
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

25 mm = .984"
.75" = 19.x mm

Easy to just purchase a new axel.......or make one or sleeve it

If the axel is ok now and I center the wheel with the correct spacing why wouldn't the caliper line up?

Is it because the forks are a different width? inside of forks on a 04 compared to the inside of the forks of a 2014?

Or is it because the wheel area at the caliper may hit?

The height should be the same as long as I use the same rotor as on the 04..........no?
Member since 2004

HV

Ill look at the shop ...not sure if we have a break out in stock though to check...
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

djl

April 08, 2014, 08:42:57 AM #4 Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:46:11 AM by djl
KGHOST,
I just installed a Breakout front wheel/tire on my '05 Deuce; not a difficult swap but did require some thinking.  I had some axle reducers made to allow me to retain the OEM axle.  I had the reducers made long enough so that the 25mm reducer extended into the inner spacer.  The face of the reducers was .125" thick, so I had the OEM outer spacers cut down .125"; the machinist had a tough time holding the conical right side spacer to cut it down.  An alternative would be to replace the conical spacer with a straight SS spacer from Bittter End Choppers.  I never saw the logic behind the cosmetic spacer on the right side but a regular spacer on the left.:scratch: Put it all together and found that my math was off a bit and I really didn't need to cut .125" off the left side outer spacer.  I had to add back .0625" to the left side to achieve perfect rotor alignment in the caliper.  The machine work cost me $75; pretty cheap.

If the later 25mm axles and spacers were not so expensive, I woud have tried a 25mm axle and spacers from the '07 Deuce and had the sections that fit the fork legs turned down to .750".   You won't believe how much those OEM parts cost. I hadn't thought that option all the way through so there may be a hitch but it seems like a viable option, but the OEM parts will cost as much as the new wheel. :doh:

I now have the tire mounted and waiting on a fender.  The OEM fender is 4" wide and the tire is 5.25" wide; just looks funky.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Ok so if I understand you correctly

Would having a sleve that is 25 mm outside diameter made that will fit over the 3/4 inch axel and have it made the entire lenght of the axel to the overall length of the spacers (if I get them exactly measured for this)  required and leaving the rest of the 3/4 axel that gets attached at the lower forks work???

Is that the 05 rotor?

What are you doing for the rear wheel?

Awsome I cant believe someone else also wants the larger/ wider tire!!

I was also thinking of installing a fat boy front fender as I have one I purchased........it is already wide enough and will cover the wheel a lot more...not sure of the look but a thought anyway.

Also I have spoked wheels and do not really like that break out rim/wheel so I would have to search for a different rim.....hopefully for low dollars....I am not going to spend thousands on wheels and tired for my standard....already spend that many times over on chrome and motor work......haha

I wish chrome aftermarket wheels did not cost so dam much. I can but custom rims and tired for my 4 wheel truck for $1000 or so.....that is the cost of ONE chrome wheel for the bike!!
Member since 2004

djl

No on the reducers; they look like the ones shown on the Bitter End website but the difference is that the aftermarket reducers do not extend into the inner spacer; they stop at the insided face of the inner race of the wheel bearing.  I had reducers made that extended an inch into the inner spacer to keep it centered because the ID of the inner spacer is 25mm and the axle is 19mm.  Maybe an anal thing but that's the way I wanted it done.

The rotor is the Breakout rotor; came with the wheel.  A wanna be HD floater.

I am currently running the stock Deuce wheel that has been slotted.  I will eventually get it powder coated black.  The Breakout rear wheel will not fit the Deuce without major surgery.   Front and rear wheels don't have to match for me and the Deuce had too much chrome from the factory, some of which I have blacked out and I am not done yet. I just wanted a wider tire up front and the Breakout wheel does it and looks good to my eye.

The Fatboy fender may be wide enough but will it be tall enough with a different tire?  The 130/70/21 Breakout tire is the same diameter as the 90/90/21 Metzler I was running out front. However, the 120/70 tires I looked at were taller.  Just something to check.  I don't see a Fatboy front fender on a Deuce; the stock fender looks much better to my eye.

I looked at spoked wheels as well before pulling the trigger on the Breakout wheel. The cheapest option I found was to send my hub to vendors like Debrix Cycles to provide a rim and spoke it up; IIRC, that would have run just under 400 and the widest rim I could find was 3.25".  I could not find any cheap options to get a wider tire on a 21" rim; maybe you can do better.  Good luck.

You could have the Breakout wheel chromed; might be more appealing to you that way.  It is a cost effective way to get that wider tire out front. JMHO.